Uneven edges on replaster job, inevitable?

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Linda47
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground, plaster and gunite, 30X14

Postby Linda47 » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 21:13

We're SO disappointed with the way our replastering job came out. The edges of the steps, spa seats and ledges were all straight and neat and even on our original pool. The replastering job just completed on our pool left those edges bulky and uneven and unstraight (is that a word?). We used a reputable contractor and when I told him of our disappointment, he said no replastering job will have straight edges like new pool construction. Is he correct? Or was he just trying to cover up his workers' sloppiness? I'd appreciate any advice or experience you have to offer. Thanks!

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 22:52

There is absolutely no reason for a re-plaster not to have a same smooth, straight and otherwise nice surface as the original plaster applied on the first gunite.
I would not pay a contractor if I am justifiably dissatisfied with the result.

The fresh plaster has its own time limit, up to which it can be worked with. If plaster is being applied by poorly trained or otherwise incompetent crew that takes too much time, the material dries and is no longer pliable.
This overworking results in "burning", discoloration and uneven, bumpy surface.
It is up to the mixer guy and the foreman to relay the needs of the crew to signal need for more wet or drier material from pump. In order for a crew to have ample time to work with pliable wet plaster it is never recommended to apply it in the windy weather over 8-10mi/hr. Wind may be a lot harder on plaster than the sun.

To claim, that re-plaster is somehow expected to be always inferior to a new work, is a plain B.S. and first sign of contractors incompetence or cover-up.
Bear in mind, that contractors use a different borrowed crews, some of them the very first time.
Linda47
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Linda47 » Sun 22 Nov, 2009 20:17

Thanks so much for your advice. We suspected as much but had no way of knowing. We wondered whether asking a couple other plaster contractors to come and look at this result would give us honest unbiased opinions, or whether tthey might be inclined to side with us, hoping to get the do-over job.
pool care

Postby pool care » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 02:49

Did you have a contract?

If so you have some recourse. A replaster should not leave you with the impression of a patch-up job and should be as good as, if not better than the original plaster job.
Linda47
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Linda47 » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 13:27

We did have a contract which guaranteed they would repair any defects "due to materials or workmanship", but of course he's insisting there is no defect here, that no replastered step or seat edges can come out sharp and straight. So it's almost like we need some kind of pool experts willing to testify that he's wrong. Where do I find experts? Besides you folks, of course.
geeman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby geeman » Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:36

I have a few questions:
1. Was your original surface plaster or paint?
2. What type of new plaster do you have? Marble, quartz, pebble?
Linda47
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Linda47 » Fri 27 Nov, 2009 17:56

Hi geeman,
Original surface was regular white plaster, and that's what we got when we replastered.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”