Steel sided inground pool with rust issues

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
webguynow
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 35000 gal IG pool, with concrete bottom, and steel sides and skimmers - that have collected some rust. DE Filter, Only have top skimmers, No main drain.

Postby webguynow » Sat 29 May, 2010 13:25

I've got rust in the skimmers and quite a bit on the seams and around the top, localized in those areas.
I'm wondering if there's a proven fix or procedure, for issues like this. I know it's a big job.

see the photos:
http://www.iiscorp.biz/PoolPics/Pool_Pics.html

~~~~~~~~~
My tentative plan is to strip the paint off the sides, with stripping chemicals and spackle spachula stripper.

Then grind and scrape all the rust off possible ( jeez - this could eat thru the seams )

Then treat with naval jelly, even though I hope I won't have or see any more rust.

Then prime it, and paint it with marine paint. ( this alone might be $2000+)

~~~~~~~~~

I don't have experience with any of these steps, except for when I tried something like this last year.
I think my approach was a little light, and I just had a grinding stone and then used Naval.Jelly, then a Rustoleum paint product.
The rust came back and the paint chipped.

So I'm looking to do it the 'Right' way this year

Nagging Questions:
Is a sand-blaster necessary, or are there good alternatives ? localized work with grinders, sandblasters, etc.
Do I need to completely paint the sides, starting from bare metal, or can I leave the solid paint on and paint over it ?
How can I cover or rebuild rusted skimmers ?
Should I consider other alternatives: a liner, inner concrete wall or others ?

Suggestions, references, links, or a procudure/guide I can follow, are all welcome
TIA ( Thanks in Advance )

webguynow
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 35000 gal IG pool, with concrete bottom, and steel sides and skimmers - that have collected some rust. DE Filter, Only have top skimmers, No main drain.

Postby webguynow » Sat 29 May, 2010 13:26

~~~ Part 2 ~~~~

I also notice that the skimmers are quite rusty.
They are mounted in the concrete siding and basically are 2 metal boxes, painted and welded together.
One box goes horizontally from the main pool to the cavity. And the other goes vertical from deck surface down to the line. Jeez, I got a quote from a pool contractor, and of course the delay, and then the price: $1500/skimmer x 2.

I realize these guys have once a year to make their $$$, but With all my issues, did I really need to be gouged ?
I'm guessing a DIY fix would be
-build new boxes and paint, -install them and weld them together, -paint the seams and ensure good fit **you're done**

I note the horizontal metal chamber that comes out to the pool, has a flange that covers over it, and is bolted into the side of the pool. OK? bolted into the steel side, I guess.

The other issue, I'm wondering about is, How the bottom of the steel side and the concrete bottom, were attached together to make water tight ? What bond could have been used ? I don't think I'd trust a water-tight seal to a seal of primer and paint. I maybe resurfacing the steel area near the bottom, and it's quite possible I will need to reseal it.

Other nagging issues:
To remove all the paint from the sides, or just what will come off easily (the coat put on last year) ?

How much of the steel plate could be rusted from the back / outside in. Can't tell the thickness, but I do notice the steel has a raised border around the edge, that seems to be 1/4"

In a few spots the steel plate has separated from the concrete, and I probably need a filler compound to keep the backside of the steel protected.
pool it

Postby pool it » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:47

Did you get any of your pool issues resolved?
glassjuy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: No longer own pool.

Postby glassjuy » Wed 30 Nov, 2011 15:53

webguynow -I have no doubt that the pool issues have not been resolved. You present a difficult problem for several reasons:[list=]1. It appears that you have 7 1/2" coping which is the width of coping used in vinyl liner pools, 2. Although anything is possible, especially if the pool was "home-built", it is extremely unusual to use steel walls for an in-ground pool without a vinyl liner, 3. You specified a concrete bottom, but is it really concrete, or could it be cement/vermiculite? 4. What is the actual height of the wall, i.e. 38", 42" or 48"? 5. Why is the water level so high in IMG_3457.JPG and so low in the other 3 photos? 6. Are you positive the walls are steel, considering all the paint that may have been used over the years, or is that just an assumption?[/list]
Steel walls on an inground pool without a vinyl liner is really unheard of unless the entire pool, including the bottom, is made of steel. Even this is unusual unless the pool is built on an upper floor of a high rise building such as a hotel, condo, etc.
Without answers to the above questions, it's impossible to offer a solution. Nevertheless, there positively is a solution when all the facts are known. A strong possibility is that you have a hybrid pool. Hybrids were built with concrete bottoms and fiberglass walls. Could your walls be fiberglass instead of steel? If so, there's a simple solution. Finally, stay away from "marine" anything. Resins and gel coats made for boats cannot be used on swimming pools. Hope this helps. -Bill

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”