swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
legendarybear
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I am planning a do-it-yourself block pool

Do-it-yourself cinder block pool

Postby legendarybear » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 13:28

First, thank you for taking the time to view my post! And Thank You again for any replies!
I am about to begin a do-it-yourself pool. I am at the planning phase. I have chosen the location, have chosen my contractor to do the dirt work, and I know I am going to use cinder blocks for the walls. My contractor is a pool man so he is going to direct me on the plumbing phase. Now I am at the point of figuring out how to do my sides and bottom. I do not want to use a liner, so can anyone recommend what would be an inexpensive way to go about this phase. The pool will be a 20'x40'x5' in dimension. Thanks again for any suggestions you may have. :thumbup:

duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 24X52 DIY Concrete and liner

Postby duraleigh » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 17:35

If you do not use a liner, the only way I know of to "waterproof" the blocks is with pool plaster......that costs more than a liner. YOu need to make that decision first and I think those are your only two realistic choices.
24x52 DIY concrete block and liner
1.5HP pump 925lb sand filter
http://www.tftestkits.net
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 18:07

Have you actually gotten a quote for a fiberglass pool to be installed? In the end, the cost may actually be very close and you know it will be done right (and with a warranty). These usually come with all the equipment you will need too. A lot of pool builders now have rock bottom prices due to the economy so it may be worth the look around!
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 16:44

Don't think it qualifies under the "inexpensive" side, but there's the ceramic/porcelain tiled pool option more frequently found outside the US.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 22:46

lbridges wrote:Don't think it qualifies under the "inexpensive" side, but there's the ceramic/porcelain tiled pool option more frequently found outside the US.

I guess everyone learns something new everyday. Did not know they even did these types of pools!
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:03

swimnsaveusa wrote:I guess everyone learns something new everyday. Did not know they even did these types of pools!

An upper mid-west house I lived in some 40+ years ago had a totally tiled interior finish.

With the cost of tile & install labor in the US my guess is $25-100K for tile vice what $5-10K for pebbletech? But I've seen enough of them in places like the Mexico City, Italy, and Greece, that tiled polls seemed like the norm.

There's a thread over at TFP from user Henry Porter describing his owner built porcelain tile/epoxy grout pool in Sweden. It's worth a look just to see the guy's craftsmanship - overbuilt some would say - he just put water in it a few weeks ago after a two-year construction effort (he has a day job too).
solarboy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby solarboy » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:34

I tile pools here in Europe all the time. In your case I'd render using mortar with short fibres to get a flat surface using levels and straight edges etc. You'll need to do a "scratch coat" 1st.
Then tile with glass mosaic tiles (about 4$ per sq foot here in Portugal) using Weber "swim" tile adhesive. Then grout with Webercolor Flex (p). We don't have other glue suppliers here sadly. A 25' pool takes a week to render (2 people), 4 days to tile and 2 days to grout. I'd charge a client around 5000$ to do this.
Hope this helps.
wjames
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby wjames » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 08:19

Tile pools are in demand, and most of the people prefer glass mosaic tiles,ceramic tiles and porcelain tiles. These tiles are waterproof also. 

Postby yolanda » Wed 08 Aug, 2012 20:14

hey check out popular mechanics april 1961 issue. it tells start to finish an inexpensive way to build your pool. even though prices have changed in todays market this might be away to try. i think its gonna be mine. it even shows you how to build your own sand filteration system with the blocks. i might even try using blocks for the floor and using bags of cement as a filler or grout? might be worth a try.ive just been thinking of new ways to lessen the cost. i cant afford 22-40k for an inground pool. i even bought plans off ebay. you can maybe find this book at a vintage book store or on ebay like i did. i hope this helps :)
Barolac14
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Barolac14 » Sat 10 Nov, 2012 04:33

i think its gonna be mine. it even shows you how to build your own sand filtration system with the blocks. I might even try using blocks for the floor and using bags of cement as a filler or grout?
richardt
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Researching pool building

Re: Do-it-yourself cinder block pool

Postby richardt » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 16:12

solarboy wrote:I tile pools here in Europe all the time. In your case I'd render using mortar with short fibres to get a flat surface using levels and straight edges etc. You'll need to do a "scratch coat" 1st.
Then tile with glass mosaic tiles (about 4$ per sq foot here in Portugal) using Weber "swim" tile adhesive. Then grout with Webercolor Flex (p). We don't have other glue suppliers here sadly. A 25' pool takes a week to render (2 people), 4 days to tile and 2 days to grout. I'd charge a client around 5000$ to do this.
Hope this helps.

Is it possible to use a Waterproofer plasticiser for the mortar?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 08 Dec, 2021 04:42

I prefer the epoxy adhesive and grouts, Mapei should be available, is it?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
kandy477
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20,000 gallon fiberglass with a sand filter using Rubysand

Postby kandy477 » Mon 10 Jan, 2022 11:10

I'm an ecoFINISH dealer. I'm not in pool construction myself, but I do know that some builders use ecoFINISH over cinder block, so I know it is possible. Best of luck!
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 11 Jan, 2022 03:42

Yes picked up your EcoFinnish credential from your other posts, sadly most are 10years old so dont hold your breath. Because of the porous nature of cinderblocks I would have to say a render coat would be needed first before an Ecofinish was applied.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”