Rescueing a neglected pool

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Penelope

Postby Penelope » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 16:28

I'm considering purchasing a pool home in Florida and want to know how difficult and expensive it is to bring back an inground pool that has been neglected for a very long time.....i.e., nasty dark water filling pool half-way. Let's assume, for this discussion, that the structure of the pool is sound. The challenge is to clean, refill and achieve water clarity. Any advise, anyone?

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 20:08

Penelope wrote:I'm considering purchasing a pool home in Florida and want to know how difficult and expensive it is to bring back an inground pool that has been neglected for a very long time.....i.e., nasty dark water filling pool half-way. Let's assume, for this discussion, that the structure of the pool is sound. The challenge is to clean, refill and achieve water clarity. Any advise, anyone?

The best thing to do is get a water test before doing anything, however, you need to start in this order of correcting the chemicals:

TA (total alkalinity), pH, FC, CYA, TH, then if you want, phosphates since they are infact algae food. You will want to keep your chlorine levels rather high until the algae is gone, possibly even adding a bottle of algaecide to speed up the process.
duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 24X52 DIY Concrete and liner

Postby duraleigh » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 20:33

Cleaning up a badly neglected pool is a challenge but ALL of them can be cleaned if you attack it properly.

Chlorine kills all the bad stuff in your pool. However, you cannot blindly throw 50 gallons of chlorine in the pool and have instant results. One of the common issues with cleaning out a swampy pool is likely to be filtration, also. DE and Cartridge filter, while great filters, don't do so well cleaning a really big mess. Sand is the easiest filter for this type of project.

There is a good article in Pool School at Troublefreepool.com entitled something like "how to turn a swampy pool into a sparkling oasis". It's a good read and crystal clear water will be the result.......just be aware that it is a process that will take some time and there is no "magic bullet" you can throw in the pool and make everything right.
24x52 DIY concrete block and liner
1.5HP pump 925lb sand filter
http://www.tftestkits.net
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 20:40

duraleigh wrote:Cleaning up a badly neglected pool is a challenge but ALL of them can be cleaned if you attack it properly.

Chlorine kills all the bad stuff in your pool. However, you cannot blindly throw 50 gallons of chlorine in the pool and have instant results. One of the common issues with cleaning out a swampy pool is likely to be filtration, also. DE and Cartridge filter, while great filters, don't do so well cleaning a really big mess. Sand is the easiest filter for this type of project.

There is a good article in Pool School at Troublefreepool.com entitled something like "how to turn a swampy pool into a sparkling oasis". It's a good read and crystal clear water will be the result.......just be aware that it is a process that will take some time and there is no "magic bullet" you can throw in the pool and make everything right.

Very true. However we also cannot know the exact amount to put in until we know the volume of the pool in question which it sounds like the future homeowner may possibly not know yet either.
Penelle
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Am considering buying house with pool in Florida and have questions about difficulty and cost of bringing back a neglected pool.

Postby Penelle » Wed 15 Sep, 2010 21:06

Thanks to both of you! This is encouraging. Swimsaveusa in Tampa Bay, may I contact you for professional pool advice once I settle on a property? It will be in the Tampa Bay area....probably Dunedin.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 15 Sep, 2010 21:13

Penelle wrote:Thanks to both of you! This is encouraging. Swimsaveusa in Tampa Bay, may I contact you for professional pool advice once I settle on a property? It will be in the Tampa Bay area....probably Dunedin.

Yes, that would be no problem. If you have an issue with your swimming pool, we can send one of our technicians out to look at it for you. It will not cost you anything for this either. Our headquarters are actually in Tampa next to TPA!
Michael Dornier

Postby Michael Dornier » Mon 20 Sep, 2010 23:29

I just moved to Wesley Chapel recently and have Leslie's taking care of my pool. Your prices seem good, but where are you located in Tampa? I would like to view your store and your website doesn't give a store location.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 20 Sep, 2010 23:56

Michael Dornier wrote:I just moved to Wesley Chapel recently and have Leslie's taking care of my pool. Your prices seem good, but where are you located in Tampa? I would like to view your store and your website doesn't give a store location.

At the moment, we only have the website for purchasing. Everything is stored in warehouses & we offer free same day delivery to all Tampa Bay Residents using our own trucks (plus nationwide shipping). I believe we will be opening a brick and mortar within the (very) near future, however at the moment, I have no information on a date.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”