Chlorine Generator causing cloudy pool

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.

Postby Guest » Wed 16 May, 2012 10:20

I have a 40000 gal in ground salt water pool, which I have had for about 4 years now. Probably since the second year, I started noticing that at times the water would become cloudy! I did all the water analysis. Add all the stuff that was recommended, but it didn't make a difference. I even spoke to my pool installation company and they came up will all sort of crazy ideas (one was that I was not using their brand of salt! HA HA HA). When you hear this kind of nonsense, you don't have much faith in these guys.

At one point, I noticed that the cloudiness coincided when the chlorine generator (CG) was on. I passed this information on to the pool company, and they said that they have never heard of this before.

When I turned the CG off, the cloudiness went away after some time. What I generally did was, during the swims, I would turn the CG off and then back on when we were done. This worked, but obviously didn't solve the problem. After I opened the pool this year, (i always use the unrestricted pipe section when I open the pool and during the shock treatment - until the water is clear), attached the CG, and fired it up, immediately I could see cloudy water coming out of the jets!!

Has anyone experienced this before? I have searched on the net for a few years and have yet to find an answer to this question. Most answers involve pool chemistry, which I don't believe is the cause. I don't want to plop down money for a new CG unless I feel certain it will fix the problem. My gut tells me this is it, but I'd like some confirmation before spending 500 bucks on a gut feel.

One option is to find someone that has a T-Cell 15 which I could swap out for the test. I might try the pool company, but they are very stiff...and I can't stand dealing with them!!

I appreciate any help on this matter.

Mike

pirateslovebacon
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18K gal, SWG, PebbleTec, solar & gas heat, Intelliflo VSD, Pentair cartridge, Jandy AquaLinks control system. Pool Pal for Android.

Postby pirateslovebacon » Wed 16 May, 2012 20:45

I Googled your cell and it appears to be rated exactly for the size of your pool (that's a big pool!) and from what I've seen, you'd need to run your pumps 24/7 to maintain an adequate FC.

Many people use a cell that is rated 2-3x the size of their pool so they can run their pumps less.

So the first thing that I have to ask, are you adequately chlorinating your pool?

It seems like you are a DIY, are you using and index such as the LSI or CSI to maintain balanced water?

Postby Guest » Wed 16 May, 2012 22:18

Yeah, it's a big pool. :D

When you say i have to run my pump 24/7 you are referring to the actual pump. If so, yes, it runs constantly.

I run the chlorine generator at about 50% and then change it to 0% about 30 minutes before we go into the pool. My salt content is between 2800-3000ppm - which is sort of on the lower end of the acceptable scale. I know i can go higher, but I prefer it this way because you don't feel the dryness of your skin so much (nothing compare to chlorine tablet pools). Anyways, I the beginning I had my pool at about 3300ppm level, and I was still getting the cloudiness.

With a salt water pool, one does not have to check as often the choline levels, but when i do, which is maybe one a week, the levels are fine. I sometimes make adjustments with the chlorine generator, but they are very minor. Usually, once it's set your good. I don't do back-wash because I have cartridge filters, so I don't loose much salt during the summer. I might add one bag during the summer and that's it.

Yes, i am a DIY, because I'm not satisfied with the answers I got from the "professionals".

My pool has a vinyl liner, so CSI is probably not relevant. I don't know what the LSI is. Anyways, I always get the water analyzed and they love to "prescribe" all sort of additives. I've done it a few years and it never had a positive effect on the cloudiness. So, I don't really take all the "medication" they like to prescribe! I believe it's total over kill...it's just good $$$ for them.

Thanks for your reply.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 18 May, 2012 05:35

Get yourself a proper test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 and use The Pool Calculator to calculate the CSI and see if you are in reasonable ranges. You can also read The Pool School.

Postby Guest » Fri 18 May, 2012 13:01

I'm trying to find out if anyone has experienced the same problem as me. I would venture to guess that most people do not have perfectly balanced pool water - and they have no problems. So why am i? If someone can say, "YES, i had the same problem and changing the Cell fixed the problem", then I know which path to take.

What particular chemical imbalance could be causing the generation of cloudy water when the chlorine generator is on? Unless someone knows, I'm not playing this game anymore. You know how many potential variables we are talking about? In the past, I've had my water analyzed and made all the recommended adjustments, with no result.

I'd much rather hear that people don't know what could be causing this (besides a potential defective Cell - which i am already contemplating), than taking random stabs at this.

I'd like to hear form someone that has either seen or personally experienced this phenomenon.

BTW, to add to this whole thing...I totally drained my pool last fall, so there is "fresh" water in it (together with the salt, of course). But I still have the same problem as before.

Thanks
pirateslovebacon
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18K gal, SWG, PebbleTec, solar & gas heat, Intelliflo VSD, Pentair cartridge, Jandy AquaLinks control system. Pool Pal for Android.

Postby pirateslovebacon » Fri 18 May, 2012 14:50

Postby Guest » Fri 18 May, 2012 17:12

Yeah, I did read this one before posting, but didn't feel it answered my question. I don't think his problem is resolved yet. He also has some serious algae problems, which I don't.

I think the best way to solve this problem is for me to find someone that has the same cell as mine and simply replace it and see what happens. I'm asking around. I'll keep you posted on the progress and results.
lori

Postby lori » Tue 17 Jul, 2012 11:04

Add baking soda or a water clarifier. Baking soda works the best.
Thomas152
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Surfing

Postby Thomas152 » Thu 20 Sep, 2012 05:31

I thing you have to take step by your self. Don't tell pool company because they will never accept any their mistake. So just do that to get rid of cloudy water.
Change water at proper time.
Use quality filter who remove unwanted items for water.
Clean pool.
Maintenance of pool with quality materials.
Keep cover pool with sheet.

Pool Shop
Retrofred

Re: Chlorine Generator causing cloudy pool

Postby Retrofred » Sat 24 Sep, 2016 21:15

I know it has taken a long time since your original post but I can confirm that my Chlorinator is causing cloudy water whilst running. I'm on the case! It is now Spring in Australia just just opened the pool to ready it for the season to find that with the chlorinator running water exiting the jets is cloudy. Turn the Chlorinator off: the water clears. Will post the outcome of my effort to resolve this issue. BTW my Chlorinator is new - less than 6 months. Take care...
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 25 Sep, 2016 05:21

It is normal for an SWG to produce bubbles when working. I don't have an SWG so I can't speak from experience
Try collecting a sample and let it stand and you will see it clear up
You may want to check your numbers as this can be a problem as they need about 3000ppm of salt to work correctly
pool guy

Postby pool guy » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 16:11

pool guy here. low and high calcium levels can cause cloudiness from generator, 200 being low and 400 being high, 300 is the ideal mark to hit. second cause can be dissolved metals in the water, commonly found in well water. if thats how you fill your pool thats a likely culprit. treat your pool with a sequestering agent and within 3-4 days metals will be gone and cloudiness should stop
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 01:54

Use baking soda, it should help.
Manpreet

Postby Manpreet » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 11:38

Hey Mike,

Did you find the solution? My pool is doing the exact sane thing as you have described.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 11:53

Please post full water test results.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”