Pool Cloudy since Shutdown

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Pool Cloudy since Shutdown

Postby Teapot » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 17:52

Yes the vacuum to waste adapter sounds a great idea, why not use your pool pump, it's already in place and saves buying something else?

malibujim
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 14 x 28 ft in-ground vinyl liner Sta Rite cart filter

Postby malibujim » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 22:57

Still raining here, but should clear up this weekend. Had to reorder new filter, should be here Friday. New development, wife wants to redo pool from 3' - 8' deep, to 3 or 4 ft constant depth ! Pool guy coming this weekend to talk $$$. If we do this, algae will go out with old liner. We'll see !
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 14:41

Sounds good, looking to re model mine but won't happen this year. Easy to chuck out the water and start again but if you learn the valuable lessons on water and treatment from here you'll never have this problem again.
malibujim
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 14 x 28 ft in-ground vinyl liner Sta Rite cart filter

Postby malibujim » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 18:41

OK, here is the situation here, I used the pool pump and vacuum to clean the black algae out of the pool, and directed it t waste. Actually worked better than I expected it to. The next day I had small pockets of the algae that was stirred up by vacuuming, and resettled around the pool. We are going to have the pool redone to a full 3.5 - 4 ft depth, but that won't happen for another month. I found a new Sta-Rite filter cartridge on-line, and had planned to save it until after the pool remodel, but I changed it out with the present cartridge I had been using. Hooking the vacuum up, I was able to now vacuum the remaining algae without it returning into the pool. I also noticed that with the new Sta-Rite filter, the pressure was 10 psi, compared with 5 psi when the Pleatco Pure cartridge was new. I have to assume the Pleatco was too porus, which allowed the lower pressure. The Sta-Rite cartridge also cost double the Pleatco. Also, the Sta-Rite filter said it was 20 microns, the first time I have ever seen a spec for this on any filter cartridge. Thanks for your help here.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”