Omg ive been had by the so called know it alls and i knew better

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Luvelylace
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Indoor inground 12×24 7ftdeep end 3ft shallow end 11000 gallons approx. We have slider doors that open but pool doesnt get sun. Currently no heater. Running a hayward 1.5 hp power flo pump witha hayward gm series high rate filter. Painted concrete surface of pool.

Omg ive been had by the so called know it alls and i knew better

Postby Luvelylace » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 11:49

So our pool is 12 by 24 inground indoors we have sliders to open during the day no sun gets to pool. Surface is painted which is now ruined because i listened to pool store. Im having a hellava time over here trying to get water right. It staryed when i tryed to save 400$ and pump the water out of my temporary above ground pool into the newly finished in ground pool. The pumping all went well but it was green and thick cloudy even after filtering theough hose filters, Green and tons of iron/rust/bad chemistry. When pool was filled tested water low ph below 6.8 high alkalinity unreadable high cya even though nothing had been added low chlorine and asbsolutly no hardness. Did all the 250$ worth of lotions and potions i was taken for and still a mess everything is now so high nnothing even registers on my kits i have read about the kits you need me to use i am ordering soon. I got ph down to 7.2 because i was going to go with what i know and just SLAM started slam everything went super high and unreadable but the water went to cloudy white so it was working something. Fast forward 18 hours we had a flood here in michigan and my entire pool/basement engulfed in 6+ inches of extra water :wtf: :thumbdown: fast forward another 12 hours get everything cleaned up and drained and back to normal checked water chlorine low ph to 7.2 no hardness alklinity 80-90 cya seamed about 30-50 so i added 5lbs of hardness increaser over the next day and kept checking it was not turming red in my test tube with the hardness indicator so i added more. Waited and started slam again. Ph went above 8.4 not readable chlorine total is so high its orange in the test tube and nothing else can be tested because the colors of test reagents will not register, free chlorine from dip stick says high over 10/20 ppm now i have milk water with scummy filth with orange streaks in the foam ontop of water. Levels are soo high im scared to continue with slam, tryed to redo all tests this morning and i think they are all still skewed because so much chlorine is in there.....im lost have had pools all my life and never have i ever listened to or needed help with the numbers. So i have my tail between my legs and am desperate because im afraid of what is happening to my walls, within 1 hour of adding the crap they sold me before the flood all of the walls looked funny tryed to get in because the waters 56 Fahrenheit only to find i will need a new scrape and paint job (just finished 3 wks prior to fill, everything was superb) there was def a chemical reaction and it was not good. Please best advice on how long to wait to retest again its been 24 hours and everything is wayyyyy high from what i can tell except the hardness is registering at 0 still. Used funshine sanitizer 12 for the slam. How long does it typically take for the levels to normalize, or unttil i start to adjust levels. I thought it was when it cleared but its still white and im scared to continue. I will try to add pics of water if i can.
Attachments
20190612_124830.jpg
20190612_124853.jpg

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Omg ive been had by the so called know it alls and i knew better

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 03:22

Hi Luvelylace and welcome
Chlorine level will come down over time and with algae
Can you just let us have your numbers as such a large post makes it difficult to sort through
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Just use basic products to sanitise and adjust your chemistry
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 05:13

I am staying out, who advised you to re use awful water with green slime and iron in it, sounds like your own idea but you blame everyone else or am I mistaken?
Dennis will help you. Do listen to him and don't go off adding all sorts of crap, especially anti algae.
Luvelylace
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Indoor inground 12×24 7ftdeep end 3ft shallow end 11000 gallons approx. We have slider doors that open but pool doesnt get sun. Currently no heater. Running a hayward 1.5 hp power flo pump witha hayward gm series high rate filter. Painted concrete surface of pool.

Postby Luvelylace » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 08:12

It was my idea and i ran through filters first it was coming out clear when pumping :shock: and yes i will get all new numbers here in just a few minutes.
Luvelylace
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Luvelylace » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 11:56

New test
Free chlorine over 19.54 ppm
Total chlorine over 19.54ppm
Cc 0ppm
Ph over 8.6
Hardness 144ppm
Alkalinity 32ppm
Cyanuric acid 2ppm
Copper 0.2 ppm
Iron 0.1 ppm
Phosphate 100ppb
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 14:08

Ok Dennis might not be around for a while and you are awake over there.
I am pretty sure you know you need to bring down your pH with some acid or pH-

If you look up how much to add, half the amount as your Alkalinity is lower than usual your pH will move much easier!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 16:49

I take it that those are pool store testing results, I am a bit concerned because you said that your CYA was 30-50 yet the pool store testing says 2. I would really like to see your own testing results
I've worked out to reduce pH down to 7.2 you need 55oz of muriatic acid at 29% but as Teapot says just put in half and then re-test to see where you are
You need 108oz of Bicarbonate of soda to raise your TA up to about 100, again start with half
Your chlorine at about 20 is fine for now especially with a low CYA but being as you have an indoor pool you will only need to raise CYA to 20 which helps to buffer the chlorine
Due to all the detrius in the pool I would vacuum to waste, maybe leave the pump off to allow it to settle being careful not to let the water drop to low
Luvelylace
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Luvelylace » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 21:05

Yes my results are not accurate i beleive that the high chlorine content is causing inaccuracies with my results( i think its bleaching out my reagents they are not doing what they are supposed to) i have done what you guys have said so far i also already vacuum ed to waste and as of right now its looking better. I can see 2 to 3 feet in now where i couldnt before. I will get new results in the am and see if anything has changed with my testing or the comp testing. Thank you for taking the time to assist you are all lifesavers.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 14 Jun, 2019 03:38

The fact that it is clearing means you are on the right track keep vacuuming to waste untill it's reasonably clear, testing in between
With a CYA of 20 you will need a 10ppm shock level.
With a CYA of 50 you will need a 20ppm shock level.
This is why you need accurate test results

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”