Is the grey grout making my pool cloudy?

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
M1ckyD
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 100m^3 chlorinated pool with dark blue tiles and graphite grey grout. It's in a tropical forest and so the pump (1.1kW) and filter system work hard to keep the water clean with leaves falling in the pool after the rainy season.

Is the grey grout making my pool cloudy?

Postby M1ckyD » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 17:34

So i have a pool with dark blue pool tiles about 1" square and the pool capacity is 100m^3. The grout is graphite grey. The pool is about 10 years old now. Occasionally my pool goes really cloudy in a very short space of time (about 3 hours) and takes about 5 days to get the water clear again. The estate i live on have hired a new manager who tells me that all swimming pool grout should be white therefore the grout used in my pool isn't suitable for swimming pools and when my pool cleaner cleans the pool he is just brushing the grout off the tiles into the pool water and hence making it cloudy. Is there any truth in this? And if not can someone please advise what the correct solution is?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Is the grey grout making my pool cloudy?

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 21 Aug, 2019 02:29

I doubt that the new manageris talking sense as pool grout is designed for swimming pools and wouldn't leach out
Does the pool go cloudy after the pool has been cleaned?
Is this a communal pool?
Who's responsible for the pool chemistry?
M1ckyD
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 100m^3 chlorinated pool with dark blue tiles and graphite grey grout. It's in a tropical forest and so the pump (1.1kW) and filter system work hard to keep the water clean with leaves falling in the pool after the rainy season.

Postby M1ckyD » Wed 21 Aug, 2019 11:09

I think it could be that it goes cloudy after the pool man has been at the pool vigorously brushing the pool tiles and hence the grout coming away and suspending in the water?
It's a private pool.
The pool man (who's core activity is gardener) was responsible for the pool chemistry, but now it's the estate manager. I don't have much confidence in either of them but i'm often away for weeks at a time so have no choice but to leave them to it.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 22 Aug, 2019 06:09

Manager talking nonsense, grout available in a range of colours.
Brushing the walls vigorously could certainly cause that issue.
We need to see water test results and not from a dip strip. If the water chemistry is out then the water can and frequently does errode the plaster or grout finish leading to very expensive repair bills.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 22 Aug, 2019 06:39

M1ckyD wrote:I think it could be that it goes cloudy after the pool man has been at the pool vigorously brushing the pool tiles and hence the grout coming away and suspending in the water?
It's a private pool.
The pool man (who's core activity is gardener) was responsible for the pool chemistry, but now it's the estate manager. I don't have much confidence in either of them but i'm often away for weeks at a time so have no choice but to leave them to it.

You say it's a private pool, is it for your use only or others (communal) because I don't understand why a gardner and estate manager are responsible for it
M1ckyD
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby M1ckyD » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 12:28

It's a private pool. It's only used by my family and friends. I have a gardener who looks after the garden and also the pool.
My house is in an estate and the estate is managed by a HOA (home owners association) and hence the estate manager helps with issues relating to pools etc.

I went to Sinsa (a bit like Sainsbury's Homebase in the UK) where i understand the graphite grey grout was bought for grouting the pool tiles. The grout is mixed with a product to make it suitable for use in pools (they tell me). Is this normal procedure? I'm still having cloudy pool problems and wondering if it's related to the grout used.
M1ckyD
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby M1ckyD » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 12:48

Btw, thanks for the advice guys and sorry for my late response, i'm just very busy and not able to focus on this issue as much as i'd like to.
Teapot - how do i go about getting a comprehensive set of water test results?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 12:58

Hi, I would need to know more about the grout and the add mix. They may have used a polymer additive like Sika SBR or similar. The issue with inexperienced people is they see waterproof and that applies to bathroom and showers not constant immersion. These days I would be using water based epoxy adhesive and grout.

Water testing depending on what is available could be a Taylor kit, LaMotte but accuracy is required so no dip strips or dip strip readers.

Testing for Free and total chlorine. Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, pH, and most importantly Cyanuric acid (chlorine stabiliser)

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”