Cloudy After Covered (Above Ground)

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
substatica
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex Small Family Frame Pool 2.6m x 1.6m x 0.65m #28271, 603 gal (2,282 Litres)

Cloudy After Covered (Above Ground)

Postby substatica » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 08:01

Hi,

New member, and new pool owner. I have a ~2,200 L above ground Intex pool with a 1500 GPH pump. I've had it open just over a week. Water was crystal clear until I left a tarp cover on one hot day. When removing the cover it's cloudy.

I shocked the pool with a non-chlorine shock when I first filled it (26g BioGuard Oxysheen https://amzn.to/3ixqjLn) and I have been treating it with chlorine tablets in a floater (SpaGuard Smart Tabs https://amzn.to/3gsT9e4). I calculated the water volume should need 1 tab/day, but they don't seem to dissolve that fast so I added two to the floater.

I run the pump for a couple of hours at least each day, probably in the realm of 2-4 hours per day.

Since removing the cover and finding it cloudy, I have shocked the pool again, changed out the pump filter (which was impeding flow something fierce) added another chlorine tablet to the floater (which had two already in progressive states of dissolving). I've also run the pump for a good 6 hours and it has done little to clear the cloudiness.

My test reading from a strip as of this morning,

Code: Select all

pH 6.8
TA 0
N  0
FC 0.5
TC 0
H  50
B  0

The FC has dropped since the previous day which was at 3, this prompted me to add another tablet to the floater as mentioned above. Any feedback would be appreciated. Cheers.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Cloudy After Covered (Above Ground)

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 12:13

Test strips are commonly called guess strips
You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
substatica
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex Small Family Frame Pool 2.6m x 1.6m x 0.65m #28271, 603 gal (2,282 Litres)

Postby substatica » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 12:41

Denniswiseman wrote:Test strips are commonly called guess strips
You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results.

Thanks, I have this one (https://amzn.to/3e3Akwx) on order, but it's going to take a couple of days to get here. Given that it's a relatively small pool I wasn't sure how much to spend, how deep to go on testing and chems.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 16:34

It doesn't matter what the size of the pool you really need to get your numbers right
This kit is missing one of the most important CYA
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
Even a pool store test is better than guess strips
substatica
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby substatica » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 19:34

Denniswiseman wrote:It doesn't matter what the size of the pool you really need to get your numbers right
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm

Thanks, good to know. I cancelled the order for that kit. Though I don't think I can swing the Taylor K2006c at $200+ CAD before tax. I'll see if I can source a more affordable kit that does CYA.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Cloudy After Covered Above Ground

Postby Teapot » Thu 01 Oct, 2020 02:34

Debrainjew wrote:Im wondering why you feel you need to switch pumps?

The pump I have is a larger pond pump and it can be set up as in the pond or "above ground" From what Ive read, in the pond is more efficient.

There is no problem doing that and slower filtration is better filtration. The only issue is having enough power to backwash the filter (if its a sand filter).
Proper flow rate to allow correct filtration and turnover is way more important and saves a lot of money and is better for the environment.
Bachboy1
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Bachboy1 » Mon 08 Feb, 2021 00:48

Denniswiseman wrote:It doesn't matter what the size of the pool you really need to get your numbers right
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use https://www.backyardstyle.com/best-pond-filter/to get the same sanitation

Thank you for this info!

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”