Suspended algae particles

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Rosey

Postby Rosey » Sun 05 Aug, 2012 11:32

I have suspended algae particles in the deep end (8feet) of the pool that will not filter out. I can see the bottom but it's not the clear water like it should be. The shallow end is clear. Chemical balances are ok. I've added clarifier, algaecide, and shock in the correct dosages and times. I've vacuumed to waste 3 times in 3 days and have not seen improvement. Is it a circulation problem?

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:40

Yes, this sounds like a circulation problem. You probably have an above-ground pool with no floor drain and may only have one return if it's a smaller pool. You can try pointing the return diagonally downward to try and improve circulation flow and can brush to stir up what is there to get it to the skimmer. Or you can go the opposite route and use a flocculant such as OMNI Liquid Floc Plus or GLB Drop 'N Vac where everything should settle to the bottom with the pump off at which point you can carefully vacuum-to-waste (obviously turning the pump back on for vacuum-to-waste, but with the multi-port set not to circulate).

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”