New pool owner! Yikes!

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
reperry
I'm new here
I'm new here

New pool owner! Yikes!

Postby reperry » Sun 02 Jul, 2006 19:01

I have a silly question and I am very sure that some people will be laughing at me or rather with me! I have been reading some posts and have read about some people "running their systems for a few days or weeks trying to get this problem or that problem cleared up".

I have an 18x32 (or something) inground pool and have been having trouble with cloudy green water. I have shocked and super chlorinated and managed to kill the algae that had been growing, then vaccumed the dead algae out, but still have cloudy GREEN water. It looks much better since vaccuming but still needs something!

PH levels are good as well as chlorine levels. So one of my questions is what to do next? More shock? Clarifier? More algaecide? Clean my sand filter? My other question...what do I need to leave my system on when it is running? Filter? Recirculate? HELP!

I am planning on shocking again tonight, and then I am going to use a sand filter cleaner which requires shutting the system down to let the cleaner set on the sand tomorrow night.

Please help me figure out what the heck I am supposed to do!

Thanks in advance!

The Reelman

Algea

Postby The Reelman » Wed 05 Jul, 2006 10:49

Here is what has worked for me in the past.

Don’t bother with algaecide for now. It is a waste of money. Keep the chlorine levels high. Once your chlorine levels are up check and adjust all the other chemical levels (PH, Alk, hardness, etc.). As the algae dies off the water will become cloudy with dead algae which you will have to get out. During this period keep the filter running on the filter setting 24/7. Once the algae settles on the bottom vacuum out to waste. Normal sand filters will not completely filter out dead algae. Using a flocculant first can help. Let us know how you make out.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”