My pool is very green

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
John38

My pool is very green

Postby John38 » Wed 05 Jul, 2006 19:36

The water in my pool is dark green. I shocked it 3 times, added a gallon of Algaecide, a gallon of Clarifier, countless chlorine tablets, and backwashed the filter twice a day. I did all this over the course of two weeks. Also vacuumed the pool everyday. The pool is less than one year old, and I had the water delivered by a water company. I took the water to a pool place, and they told mr to add 9 pounds of alkaline rise, 1 pound of ph rise, and 1 quart of Keetone , which supposedly eliminates brown and green water. It's been 3 days and the water is still green. The ph is 7.8, alkalinity is good, but i still have no chlorine, and the total hardness is zero. I have no idea what to do, and any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

The Reelman

Green water

Postby The Reelman » Thu 06 Jul, 2006 08:26

No chlorine is your biggest issue. You'll have to shock heavily to correct this. You also want to make sure your PH doesn't raise too high (shock tends to raise PH). As the algae dies off the water will become cloudy with dead algae which you will have to get out. During this period keep the filter running on the filter setting 24/7. Once the algae settles on the bottom vacuum out to waste. Let us know how it goes.

Postby Guest » Sat 15 Jul, 2006 20:59

If youv've done all that to clear up your water and it is still discolored, and also chlorine read is low, you may have high Phosphates. Which no matter how much chlorine or shock you add, it still won't change. Go back to the pool store and have your phosphates checked.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”