Temporarily cloudy

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
KevinH
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 6m x 3m salt water below ground fibreglass pool with Viron P300 pump and Hurlcon VX6T chlorinator, solar heating.

Temporarily cloudy

Postby KevinH » Sun 13 Dec, 2015 22:49

Twice now I have the same issue, took the cover off the pool and it was crystal clear but needed a light clean, once I started the pool started getting cloudy, by the time I finished you couldn't see the bottom in the deep end (1.5m), I disconnected vacuum and pool quickly cleared and within 10 minutes was completely fine. During that time I tested the water and everything was fine. I don't think it was to do with the cleaning as the other time it happened we were actually in the pool. Any ideas ?

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Re: Temporarily cloudy

Postby Larry » Mon 14 Dec, 2015 03:23

Hi Kevin

This is an interesting question. From my experience it sounds like air in the water to me and I most often see this happening when I add a large amount of pH reducer to water with a very high pH and alkalinity. The water turns milky white and I can see and hear the millions of micro-bubbles in the water. The pool clears within about 15 minutes.

I wonder if it could be undissolved salt from the filter being dissolved and blown into the pool or air from the solar collectors entering the pool via the return line.

If your levels are all good and the water clears quickly then no problem. Still, it would be great to understand what is happening.

Larry
KevinH
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 6m x 3m salt water below ground fibreglass pool with Viron P300 pump and Hurlcon VX6T chlorinator, solar heating.

Postby KevinH » Mon 14 Dec, 2015 19:16

Hi Larry, my thoughts were also that it could be air, I've seen similar when changing a drinking water filter, you can watch the air dissipate. The solar heating wasn't on, I hadn't added any chemicals, pH was in the ideal range and total alkalinity towards the bottom of the recommended range. I added a bag of salt probably 6 weeks ago, back washed a couple of weeks ago and added some stabiliser, bit of a mystery, I'll update this if I notice it happen again or can relate to anything in particular.
Thanks
Kevin
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 03:03

Thanks Kevin

An update would be great as this is a first for me.

Larry
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 02:48

It's the SWCG producing microscopic chlorine gas bubbles

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”