Pool water turned yellow/brown, after algacide and shock treatment

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Hubguy24
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Fiberglass, 20,000 gallons, sand filter, 1.0 hp pump

Pool water turned yellow/brown, after algacide and shock treatment

Postby Hubguy24 » Mon 15 May, 2017 11:06

Hi, I'm fairly new to this posting board, but I'm having a hard time with the pool water.

The pool was not maintained throughout the winter, therefore the water turned a dark green color.

In the past week or so, the pool has been tested for chemicals, and adjusted according to the instructions on the green algaecide bottle.

A day later, the pool water turned a yellow/brown color. It's "see-through" for the first 6" or so. I thought it might have been mustard algae, so I waited 4 days, and proceeded to treat with yellow gone algaecide.

The cl, br, pH, alkalinity levels are all good. However, I do not have the option for cya testing with the test kit I purchased at Home Depot.

I will be taking a sample of water to Leslie's pool this afternoon, but I wanted to get some advise, ad I've been to Leslies before, and have had some unexperienced assistance that didn't help my pool in the past.

This is the 1st year the water has turned a yellow/brown color.

The water is from a city municipal source, and not from a well, therefore, I am not certain this is due to mineral deposits.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool water turned yellow/brown, after algacide and shock treatment

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 15 May, 2017 16:24

You really need to get a decent test kit (Taylor K2006C or TF100) and test the water yourself, pool stores and strips are widely inaccurate (pool stores are in the business of selling)
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
My pool:
Pool chemicals:
Stop putting algaecide in as a lot contain copper(you need a polyquat)
It seems you need to Slam
You also need to use the Chlorine / CYA Chart to determine how much chlorine to slam
How are you chlorinating, pucks contain CYA which in excess will render your chlorine ineffective
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
Come back when you have a better idea of your correct numbers

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”