Cloudy Water - at wits end

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Moff

Cloudy Water - at wits end

Postby Moff » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 12:40

Hi all

I'm new here. Thanks for having me.
Sorry if this question has been done to death.
I have an outdoor pool which was neglected all winter.
Now the weather is good here I decided to clean it up.
I shocked it with chlorine but used too much thanks to litres/gallons confusion.
So the chlorine was off the scale so I used hydrogen peroxide to lower it.
A dip test revealed ph off the scale acid. Alkalinity off the scale too low.
So I used baking soda to raise the alkalinity but again used too much.
That made the alkalinity and ph both too high.
I've since been slowly adding ph down and the pH is now good but the alkalinity is still off the charts high.
Adding ph down has also reduced the chlorine but it's still OK.
So now I have chlorine 3ppm, ph 7.6, alkalinity 240 probably more.
The water is also cloudy blue.
My neighbour said we have hard water in the area but I thought the soda crystals would have softened it.
So if you've read the whole post I commend you. Any advice would be appreciated. Was hoping to swim in about 16 hours time.

bruvvamoff
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12ft x 3ft round steel frame bestway, 1500gah cartridge filter.

Re: Cloudy Water - at wits end

Postby bruvvamoff » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 13:20

This was my post. Submitted as a guest somehow
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 15:32

Hi, Basically the cloudy water is dead algae and suspended matter, time isn't available in a bottle but you speed up the process with a clarifyer providing you don't have a cartridge filter.

For future reference don't add hydrogen peroxide, it is a stronger oxidiser than chlorine so burns your chlorine out and won't allow chlorine to show for a while (2 weeks ish)
This calculator is helpful so you waste your time and money over shooting levels.
https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

You need a decent test kit if you haven't got one and what is your stabiliser level (cyanuric acid).
What more can you tell us about your pool?
What type/size of filtration, what its construction (vinyl, plaster/tile etc ) pump size.

There isn't anything you have said that suggests you can't swim, the water will certainly be sanitised even if it's not completely clear yet.
bruvvamoff
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby bruvvamoff » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 16:09

Thanks for responding. The pool is 12ft round x 3ft. Vinyl. Pump is 1500gah bestway with a cartridge. I've never heard of cyanuric acid. Good to know I can swim but I have a 2 year old who isn't touching the water until it's clear. I know peroxide kills chlorine but it was way too high anyway. So if the pH and chlorine are both normal is it safe to assume the cloud is dead matter if so how do I get it out?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 17:55

Ok, being vinyl, you really don't need to have a high alkalinity, I run my pool around 37-40ppm and the pH stays stable despite 5 adults splashing around. Alkalinity over 80ppm tends to mean the pH rises far more easily and my supply water is 260ppm so I have my work cut out to reduce it over time.

Cyanuric acid is a stabiliser in pucks and most other shock products, you need some 30-50ppm to stop the sun from burning out the chlorine in around 2-3 hours. Dip strips cannot accurately measure it so a vanishing dot type test is more reliable. The sabiliser builds up to much if you rely on pucks etc for chlorination.

Being a cartridge filter you'll just have to wait but do clean the filter very regularly. What can help if you have a skimmer in the pool, scrunch up one of your wifes best cotton towels into the skimmer, that helps slow the flow a bit and catch the fine debris. If the budget allows change to a sand filter so you can use flocculent and clarifyers. Especially as you have young children, the more you filter out the less they ingest and better filtration means using less chlorine.
bruvvamoff
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby bruvvamoff » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 18:51

I read about pool clarifier and they say you can use it and a cartridge filter should pick up the bits. I do wash it every hour or so. It seems to be getting less dirty as time goes on but the water looks the same. I've turned the filter pump off and going to let it sit overnight. If the cloud is debris then it should sink. If the water is still cloudy tomorrow with no debris at the bottom what does that mean?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 00:45

Products like miraclear say they can be used on filter cartridges but they all seem to clog the cartridges and end their life much quicker. Yes they help clear the pool very well but usually at the expense of buying a new cartridge each time.

The difference between a good pool filtration system and a not so good one is how quickly they can clear a disaster. For some reason filters are sold on the small side compared to pump flow rate. Simply doubling the size of the filter improves the filtration and clear up rates hugely.

The suspended matter will sink but very slowly, due to it being so light to start with. Using a flocculent clumps small suspended particles into bigger (floccs) and therefore heavier so they sink easier.

If you have a battery pool vac like the Pool Blaster and the finest bag then you can vacuum these floccs off the bottom. It takes time and in your case a bit longer than a better filtration and flow system.
bruvvamoff
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby bruvvamoff » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 02:18

I've spent tons of money already on a filter and chemicals. I think I'll try clarifier with my pump first as my pump is pretty powerful with a big cartridge.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 11:46

Surprising though it may seem a powerful pump is not required. Slower filtration is better filtration. My pool and my work with customers pool proves this. 0.8hp is all I use for filtering a 12,000 gallon outdoor pool. Obviously far more power is used for backwashing the sand filter. That's just to illustrate, this is about yours.
How is your chlorine level, chlorine gets used up pretty quickly in these cases so keeping the level up is vital to oxidise the dirt etc. Stabiliser is also very important, more important than pH.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”