Green murky water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Green murky water

Postby Teapot » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 08:56

Teapot wrote:Yes, that will be HTH's calcium hypochlorite but re badged to OPC labelling.
https://www.onlinepoolchemicals.com/med ... les_2_.jpg

If you can get a decent tester and measure the levels Dennis described especially stabiliser levels. Don't take too much notice of the other information about chlorine levels and DO NOT MIX THIS WITH OTHER CHLORINE SOURCES!! EXPLOSIVE!!!
Shocking a pool is not the addition of a product labelled shock. It is the raising of the free chlorine level and holding it until the algae is dead, oxidised and the combined chlorine levels are 0.5ppm or less. That may take a few days and a fair bit of chlorine.

You may have miss understood, do not mix this chemical with any other pool sanitiser, that does not mean once it's massively diluted in the pool water, then it's OK. Just don't mix them full strength out of the pool.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 09:12

Seeing as you are unwilling to spend money to maintain your pool properly your best option would be to drain down and put it away for the winter a bit early. Although a lot of pool owners leave it full but winterize
You have probably spent as much on useless remedies as a decent test kit would cost
I think after five pages of dialogue with us trying to help you would be enough
Jphannon
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Above ground steel frame, 12ft by 48” 500 gallon sand filter, on grass, floor slightly sloped

Postby Jphannon » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 11:15

Thanks for all your help and I think I will shock the pool but drain it afterwards, so the alge doesn’t stain the liner when I empty it
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:19

I wouldn't bother as you are unlikely to kill the algae with a guess dose of chlorine
Drain down and wash in a chlorine solution (plain bleach) not thick, scented, or splashless
Then wash down and pump what you have through your equipment to help kill any algae in it
Jphannon
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Above ground steel frame, 12ft by 48” 500 gallon sand filter, on grass, floor slightly sloped

Postby Jphannon » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 17:30

Ok I’ll do that then

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”