milky pool

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
davidsjames
I'm new here
I'm new here

milky pool

Postby davidsjames » Wed 22 Feb, 2012 04:17

Swimming pool water problem solving guide for those with privately owned pools

Dan'l

milky pool

Postby Dan'l » Wed 07 Mar, 2012 11:29

After the stuff settles to the bottom, try vacuuming to waste rather than to filter. Go verrrrry slooowwwly so you do not kick up the debirs. If you have a self-contained robotic vacuum, don't use it; it will simply spray the very fine particles into the water as they pass trhrough the filter bag it uses. After a few days of vacuuming to waste, the water clarity will improve as long as it is balanced. Make sure your ph is right when the pool is cloudy too.

I don't recommend regular use of either flocking agents or clarifier unless you follow the directions meticulously. They sound like a simple solution, but in my experience often require a lot of extra work.

Clarifier sticks small particles together to make larger particles so they can get caught in the filter rather than going through it. If they stick to each other, it stands to reason they will stick to the filter, too. When you use clarifier, you must backflush AND vacuum (I recommend vacuuming to waste) because many stuck together particles will fall to the bottom. It can take a few days to clear up the water using clarifier.

Flocking requires a lot of vacuuming to waste to clean it up, otherwise the pool water will always get messy when someone gets in the water and distrubs the fine fallout on the bottom. It can take several days of vacuuming to get it all up. DO NOT circulate water through the filters when you add a flocking agent.

None of these chemicals are magic. It takes some elbow greese to get the promised effects. Simply pouring stuff into your pool is not enough. Skimming, vacuuming, back-flushing, and cleaning filter baskets have to be done regularly.

Milky pools are not safe to swim in, not because the chemicals are particularly harmful or dangerous(although extremly high and low levels can be), but because you must be able to clearly see below the surface all the way to the bottom. :thumbup:

Dan'l
John75

milky pool

Postby John75 » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 19:01

Hi Spinbal! Have you checked this pool water treatement guide : www.indoorpoolguide.com/water-chemicals . Also, there is a page dedicated to pool filtering : www.indoorpoolguide.com/filtration-systems

milky pool

Postby Guest » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 00:56

I have the same problem a pool of milk, I had the water tested and they said to put yellow out and then shock
it. They said it would clear up, well its still milk. I didn't have this problem last year. I shocked it again, its still milky. Hope someone can HELP figure it out. Thanks
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

milky pool

Postby rosalind » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 01:20

nu2pools wrote:we have an Intex 12x36 easy set pool, we've had fairly good luck with keeping the water clear, until now, much to my fault I'm sure I turned the pool water into milk, I hadn't added any chemicals for a few days and they were all low, so I made the mistake of sprinkling in a little bit of everything that was low, then I shocked it and then I was shocked! I now have a pool full of milk! if anyone has the cure or any suggestions please post them! all ideas are greatly appreciated!

If you have a chlorine-free or chlorinated pool, the display of milky water is rise by the abeyancy of apparent impurities and piece. These piece are most frequently develop by circulation or poor filtration, inappropriate water balance, or at the stages of starting of algae

milky pool

Postby Guest » Sat 23 Jun, 2012 19:45

I have the same milky water problem my brother does filtration systems for major water parks around the world I will ask for his help but I can tell you he said he has never changed his filter sand it is usually not nessesary..and he always has crystal clear water...try the ball clearafier you put it in your filter basket it works great to keep pool clear all season
Clear Pools

milky pool

Postby Clear Pools » Fri 05 Jul, 2013 19:03

Sometimes when a pool becomes milky cloudy due to suspended debris and unbalanced chemicals, the pool needs to be "flocked". Raise the PH to 8.2 and test with a reliable test kit or strips. Add Flock and set filter to recirculate (bypass the filter) for 4 hours and then shut down overnight. The next day the pool will be crystal clear with a white powder covering the bottom of the pool. The next step is important. Vac all of the white powder out of the pool on "waste". Do not vac in filter mode. You want all of this out of the pool. If the problem persists, inspect your filter sand or cartridge.
inspiredpowers

milky pool

Postby inspiredpowers » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 15:50

Hi Lorna, I just spent over an hour vacuuming all the fine particles off the bottom. I really hope this fixes my problem so I can close my pool and look forward to getting better at this next year! Thank you, for your post! :)
Adolfsmith69
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: surface

milky pool

Postby Adolfsmith69 » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 07:09

A swimming pool requires a large investment of time and money from a pool owner, who is usually trying to create his/her own relaxing backyard paradise. Water problems that take away from this lavish backyard getaway, such as cloudy water, can be very frustrating . Cloudy or dull pool water is caused by improper chemical balance or fine debris suspended in the pool water.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”