green water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
shall4548

green water

Postby shall4548 » Mon 14 May, 2007 13:34

Hi I have green water we are having a chlorine problem so we had a chlorine demand test done and they are saying I need 18 lbs. of shock.
I have a above ground pool vinyl liner, sand filter, and 25-27000 gallons.

Many people have told me I can use store bleach I would really like some info on this and if it's safe to use how much do I need to equal 18 lbs. of shock.

Thanks so much :?:

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 14 May, 2007 23:28

You can use regular plain bleach from the store, but it is not as strong as liquid bleach from the pool store. In your case, I'd go for the stronger bleach. In my area it's as cheap if not cheaper to buy liquid bleach from a pool store in returnable jugs.
me_too

Re: green water

Postby me_too » Tue 15 May, 2007 10:34

shall4548 wrote:Hi I have green water we are having a chlorine problem so we had a chlorine demand test done and they are saying I need 18 lbs. of shock.
I have a above ground pool vinyl liner, sand filter, and 25-27000 gallons.

Many people have told me I can use store bleach I would really like some info on this and if it's safe to use how much do I need to equal 18 lbs. of shock.

Thanks so much :?:

To answer the question on equivalent chlorine content we need to know the available chlorine percentage of your 'shock' product. It's usually written on the packaging.

For your size pool, 15.7 liters of 12.5% bleach will raise the chlorine to about 20 ppm. 37.5 liters of 5.25% bleach are needed for the same 20 ppm concentration.

You can certainly use bleach from the grocery store. It's carrying and handling 37 liters (about 10 gallons) of the stuff that may be a pain.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”