Green keeps coming back!

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Bob

Green keeps coming back!

Postby Bob » Sun 20 May, 2007 08:19

I have a 10K gallon Viking fiberglass inground with a Tagelus 60 sand filter. Installed about two years ago. Had an algae problem that has since been killed off and the pool will come up to a lime green as the algae settles. The filter is running in the normal pressure range and the water chemicals are in balance.

The problem is the water is staying lime green [can sorta see the bottom in the shallow end] and when I vacum, I can see the green algae coming back into the pool from the returns.

Since the sand filter is not catching the algae, should I chemically clean the sand filter or is it just time for new sand?

The pool manual I have says sand replacment every 3-5 years

Thanks

me_too

Re: Green keeps coming back!

Postby me_too » Sun 20 May, 2007 13:06

Bob wrote:The problem is the water is staying lime green [can sorta see the bottom in the shallow end] and when I vacum, I can see the green algae coming back into the pool from the returns.

Vacuum the stuff to waste.

There's a setting on the multiport valve called either Drain or Waste. Use that, instead of Filter, to clean the pool. The algae will exit the pool via the backwash hose.

You'll need to top off the water level when you're done, so you better stick a garden hose in there while you're vacuuming; it saves a bit of time.

Turn off the motor before you turn the valve, and make sure the backwash hose is unobstructed before turing the pump back on.

You'll be fine.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 20 May, 2007 23:47

Are you sure it's been killed off? What are your readings?

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”