Cloudy Pool Water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Susan

Cloudy Pool Water

Postby Susan » Mon 28 May, 2007 20:46

Last Monday, we opened our pool, this would be our 2nd time opening it. Last year, the water was crystal clear and this year cloudy from the beginning. I use Biogard Soft Swim products and always follow the directions. My Alk was as high was 476 and I only added the regular 2 1/2 lbs of PH to start and the regular start up products. Honestely! I have been having the water tested since last week. Sunday, the alk was down to where it should be, and we even drained about 12 inces off the top and added fresh water. I have had the water tested by the pool place and a chemical place and all is the same with the readings. I can't get rid of the cloudy water. I put in Sunday a filter cleaner and the pump has been running straight with the right amount of water in it. The return is coming back into the pool cloudy. The sand was replaced last year when we moved the pump. I don't know what to do-this pool is consuming my life and I have children that want to swim in it. Today, all of my chemicals are in a normal range. What do I do? Any help. :?:

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 28 May, 2007 22:13

Sand filters are slower at filtering. Keep running the pump 24/7, vacuum daily and backwash at least once a day. It can take 2 or 3 days for it to clear up. Test your water every day until this gets cleared up, so you will be sure your levels are good. Don't let your pH or Alk get too high or too low.

You could try putting some DE powder through your skimmer. Turn your pump on and look at the gauge, put DE powder in your skimmer 1 cup at a time until your pressure increases by 1 lb. When you backwash, all the DE will go out and you will need to add DE again, but many people use this method all the time and say it works beautifully.

You could also try some clarifier - but seriously, I've not seen this be all that great to use.

Another thing I would suggest, never add chemicals unless you know what your readings are and except for chlorine, don't go crazy adding things like a bunch of acid all at once, or pH up all at once.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”