Cloudy Swimming Pool Water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Splash and Relax
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Splash and Relax » Wed 10 Feb, 2010 07:15

Generally if you have cloudy pool water its quite easy to sort and to keep from happening again. I would suggest you read a good clear pool water guide (pardon the pun :))such as the ones we have designed to help with just this type of topic at our pool water guides section.

After a good read of all the different types of water problems and water treatments you will see that most of these cloudy water problems can be fixed by yourself for very little money.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:32

tlamb692

Postby tlamb692 » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 08:03

I became a pool and spa operator last year. I opened the pool perfectly last year. my water chemistry is balanced but water is still cloudy. I shocked my pool to about 12 ppm, then I used floc and vacuumed like four times. Afterwards, I shocked the pool again. I have waited two days but it is still cloudy.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 00:13

Do you have a full set of water chemistry numbers, including the CYA level? Specifically, FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA, temp? What kind of chlorine do you normally use to chlorinate the pool? What kind of filter do you have and did you check it to make sure it is filtering properly (no channeling in a sand filter, no tears in a cartridge filter, etc.)? Was the pool initially cloudy upon opening or did it have algae that was then shocked so went form green to cloudy but is persisting as cloudy? Any more details you could provide with exactly what happened and what has been added to the pool after it was opened this year (including algaecides, phosphate removers, etc.) would be helpful.
marilynpool
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: my pool is a 20' x 42' Full - L -987.8 Sq. Ft, - 30,595 US. GAL. its a Vinyl type from cheap pool products. My filter is Hayward 36" Pro-Series Sand Filter w/2" Side Valve also from cheap pool products. I do my laps here everyday.

Postby marilynpool » Sun 28 Mar, 2010 21:14

I also had a similar problem years ago. I called up my pool maker and told me to use this Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator to keep my chlorine levels stable.
Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator
aqua rite chlorinator
wardnency12
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Very big swimming pool

Postby wardnency12 » Thu 03 Jun, 2010 05:13

Cloudiness is one of the most frequent pool water quality problems that may be encountered. The water is cloudy due to poor water chemistry. Most likely a ph problem. Take water into a pool store. Sometimes cloudiness is also due to using a calcium based shock. Such as the brand sock-it.
davedavalan
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24 foot round.

Postby davedavalan » Mon 07 Jun, 2010 05:41

I have a pool problem...My water is crystal clear until you get in it! Then it turns cloudy and back to clear once it settles.The bottom is covered with a powder like substance. I have vacuumed several times and can't get it all out. I've used the hth 3 in 1 and have noticed that the tablets crumble rather easy. It appears to me that these tablets may be the cause. Any suggestions?
BarbaraC

Postby BarbaraC » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 17:02

Does anyone using Bacquacil have a Dome?
I have the cloudy water/tinted green issue as well. Cant seam to fix it either.
Used lots of different chemicals: Pink out, floculant, clarifiers...etc.
Changed sand last year.I have an 18x38 above ground pool with a sundome.
My first fill 5 years ago was water that was trucked in.
This year after installing a new liner, I filled from the hose.
Now its algae and cloudy water problems that cant be cured.
I put a sock like material over the skimmer basket.
Sometimes I catch yellow stuff, sometimes tan or pink slime.
What to do now?
Testing water at the store every week.
Spending a fortune in chemicals.
Help!
wanda543

Postby wanda543 » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 17:33

wardnency12 wrote:Cloudiness is one of the most frequent pool water quality problems that may be encountered. The water is cloudy due to poor water chemistry. Most likely a ph problem. Take water into a pool store. Sometimes cloudiness is also due to using a calcium based shock. Such as the brand sock-it.

I just started having a problem with cloudy water right after I added algecide and a clarifying agent. I ran the filter over night and the next day the water was cloudy. I have used sock-it twice, could that be what is causing the water to be cloudy? And if it is, how do I correct it besides not using that product?
ianvancouver
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 ft wide, 4 ft deep, round

Postby ianvancouver » Thu 08 Jul, 2010 16:42

My 16ft by 4ft walmart pool is cloudy. The Bromine,Chlorine,PHD,ALK levels are all good. It did have previous high PHD levels and i added the right chemicals. I think I did put to much as it got cloudy right away. There is a brown silt on the pool bottom that every time I vac the pool it gets cloudy( even with a new filter) Any advice?
Poolboi25

Postby Poolboi25 » Sat 17 Jul, 2010 22:43

Hello!

Have a pool that is a waiting pool. It's 5ft deep. Had hard rain this past tuesday water was clear and everything else was great. Shocked it, added clarifier, and algicide after the hard rains. Now Saturday the water is very cloudy and algie is growing. Backed washed the pump on Sat added 4lbs of shock since the pool hold 15,000 gal of water and still nothing. Can you please help! Thank you!

PS, I believe that one of the mgr's did not add shock to the pool for 2 days and it has been hot, humid and hazy.

Here are some facts if you need them:

The pool pump is 5 yrs old, never replaced the sand as of yet.
Circulation is good 300 LPM

Thank you!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 18 Jul, 2010 00:07

You need to get yourself a good test kit -- either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100. Read the Pool School about Defeating Algae and how to Shock Your Pool.
Jamesc

Postby Jamesc » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 08:35

For those of you in Florida and with the Easy set pools I found a way to clear cloudy water. What I found is that the could is actually a small micro pollen that the filters will not pick up and floats close to the bottom and vacuuming makes things worse.. So what I did is took my spare A size Filter and unrolled cotton balls and folded them over each filter fan crest.. A cotton ball will unroll about 1inch wide and 8 to 9 inches long. Put this in the pump stirred the pool to make sure it was mixed well and got up the next morning to a bright clear pool. It takes time but cost me 2 bucks total.. Took the filter out pulled the cotton and cleaned it and had my spare back
:D
NewHomeowner09
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby NewHomeowner09 » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 19:03

I bought a house last summer and the above ground pool was great. This summer we opened it and it was great for about 2 months. I did the same thing the previous owner had done, and once it got cloudy I called him as he has had this pool for 6 summers before I bought the house. He agreed that I was doing the same thing and using the same products. I haven't switched brands or concentrations, and the pool is cloudy. I want to get this rectified as we have a party planned in the next few weeks! Any suggestions would be great!
duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 24X52 DIY Concrete and liner

Postby duraleigh » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 20:31

There are s-o-o-o many reasons your water is cloudy it is impossible to guess. However, if you can post a full set of test results, we can narrow it down and get started fixing it.

The results need to include:

FC = Free Chlorine
CC = Combined Chloramines
pH = pH
TA = Total Alkalinity
CH = Calcium Hardness
CYA = Cyanuric acid.

Also tell us how you are currently chlorinating the water.
24x52 DIY concrete block and liner
1.5HP pump 925lb sand filter
http://www.tftestkits.net

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”