Cloudy Swimming Pool Water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Poolboi25

Postby Poolboi25 » Sat 17 Jul, 2010 22:43

Hello!

Have a pool that is a waiting pool. It's 5ft deep. Had hard rain this past tuesday water was clear and everything else was great. Shocked it, added clarifier, and algicide after the hard rains. Now Saturday the water is very cloudy and algie is growing. Backed washed the pump on Sat added 4lbs of shock since the pool hold 15,000 gal of water and still nothing. Can you please help! Thank you!

PS, I believe that one of the mgr's did not add shock to the pool for 2 days and it has been hot, humid and hazy.

Here are some facts if you need them:

The pool pump is 5 yrs old, never replaced the sand as of yet.
Circulation is good 300 LPM

Thank you!

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 18 Jul, 2010 00:07

You need to get yourself a good test kit -- either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100. Read the Pool School about Defeating Algae and how to Shock Your Pool.
Jamesc

Postby Jamesc » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 08:35

For those of you in Florida and with the Easy set pools I found a way to clear cloudy water. What I found is that the could is actually a small micro pollen that the filters will not pick up and floats close to the bottom and vacuuming makes things worse.. So what I did is took my spare A size Filter and unrolled cotton balls and folded them over each filter fan crest.. A cotton ball will unroll about 1inch wide and 8 to 9 inches long. Put this in the pump stirred the pool to make sure it was mixed well and got up the next morning to a bright clear pool. It takes time but cost me 2 bucks total.. Took the filter out pulled the cotton and cleaned it and had my spare back
:D
NewHomeowner09
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby NewHomeowner09 » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 19:03

I bought a house last summer and the above ground pool was great. This summer we opened it and it was great for about 2 months. I did the same thing the previous owner had done, and once it got cloudy I called him as he has had this pool for 6 summers before I bought the house. He agreed that I was doing the same thing and using the same products. I haven't switched brands or concentrations, and the pool is cloudy. I want to get this rectified as we have a party planned in the next few weeks! Any suggestions would be great!
duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 24X52 DIY Concrete and liner

Postby duraleigh » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 20:31

There are s-o-o-o many reasons your water is cloudy it is impossible to guess. However, if you can post a full set of test results, we can narrow it down and get started fixing it.

The results need to include:

FC = Free Chlorine
CC = Combined Chloramines
pH = pH
TA = Total Alkalinity
CH = Calcium Hardness
CYA = Cyanuric acid.

Also tell us how you are currently chlorinating the water.
24x52 DIY concrete block and liner
1.5HP pump 925lb sand filter
http://www.tftestkits.net
dlehilem

Postby dlehilem » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 11:39

Hope this too of some help

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9820
swimfit
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby swimfit » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 01:27

Use sparkling water for your pool. The Silver Injection technology injects trace elements of silver into your swimming water to purify it. Additionally a copper element is introduced which acts as a natural algaecide.
zulueta
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10X20 feet

Postby zulueta » Tue 24 May, 2011 09:18

I had this same problem before. And I spent so much dollars but still got cloudy water. Thanks to my friend who recommended using salt chlorinator. Now, I'm happy with my pool.
Enjoying the salt chlorinator in my swimming pool.
tim86sue
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: found my pool cloudy with dead algae but didn't have the funds to take care of it that week(paid bi-weekly) i usually use alum the vaccuum up the remains but this time i went and got a large nylon womens stocking and placed it over my inlet basket were it would suck down into the inside of the basket and let it run for 3 days cleaning it each day and it cleared my pool up without spending $30.00 on more chemicals. it worked great just keep an eye on it while your doing it. cut the feet off twice the deapth of your basket, i have an inground pool. plus let them swim while doing this to stir up from the bottom so it will get in the basket.

Postby tim86sue » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 10:06

it's dead algae, use alum or place a womens stocking over your inlet basket for a few days and allow swimming during this and clean the stocking each day it worked for mee i have a inground pool, plus its cheap. wants you kill the algae the trick is catching it and removing it.
John75

Postby John75 » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 18:59

Hi! Have you seen this guide for pools water treatment : http://www.indoorpoolguide.com/water-chemicals
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

Postby rosalind » Wed 30 May, 2012 00:59

With thinking that you had to ask this query on this community, it is probable you know bit regarding taking care of the pool water. So I will advice that the excellent idea is to take a water sample to a store of pool chemical supply. They will examine the water and tell you appropriate what require to be done to make the clear water.
lightandspace
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby lightandspace » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 01:43

its was all great man...in fact I first ever hearing these words clouds pool covers... its amazing
Ray & Cheryl

Postby Ray & Cheryl » Wed 04 Jul, 2012 11:33

Cloudy Pool Problem Solved With Quick Drain
This has been the most discouraging pool opening ever!!!!!!!! We have had a pool since 1985, we presently have a Jacuzzi pump and filter . This year…our pool water has been SO cloudy that we could NOT see the top rung of the ladder….let alone the bottom of the pool. The chemical readings were fine, we even went as far as changing the filter sand and still no good results, it seemed no matter what we did ended at a dead end. Then we got this bright idea to shut the pool down for one night, well would you believe it in the morning….everything had settled to the bottom….CLEAR….we could see the pool bottom the ladder everything!!!!! At this point it wasn’t hard to figure out what was going on, by keeping the pool running…this very light…almost like a talcum powder was forced to circulate or crawl if you will through the water keeping the pool cloudy, with the pool off for several hours it had a chance to settle to the bottom in pockets all over…NOW TO GET RID OF IT!!!! We used this new idea called “QUICK DRAIN”. With this new amazing device we were able to very quickly vacuum (with filter on waste) all of the pollutant from the pool. In order to completely eradicate the pollutant we knew there was going to be a good amount of water loss meaning the pool water level would probably need to go down below the skimmer also meaning that the pump would no longer be able to run. Thanks to Quick Drain which allows you to continue vacuuming with the water level BELOW the skimmer we didn’t need to shut the pool down. Once finished vacuuming with the filter dial back in the filter position we left Quick Drain inserted in the skimmer to continue recirculating the water until (with the help of a garden hose) it regained its original depth @ the skimmer, this also allowed us to continue enjoying our pool while Quick Drain was doing the work…. “QUICK DRAIN”…an amazing product
swimlikearock
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' round Doughboy | Hayward Cartridge Filter | Hayward 1hp Pump | Oxygen Pools Water Treatment System |

Re: Cloudy Swimming Pool Water

Postby swimlikearock » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 11:14

I use a non-chlorine system called Oxygen Pools and I normally don't get cloudy water unless there is a lot of rain. If it rains heavy and the water does get cloudy, I just double dose with Formula O and it clears it right up.
Cesolar
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Ulrich Pool

Re: Cloudy Swimming Pool Water

Postby Cesolar » Wed 30 May, 2018 05:56

chem geek wrote:You need to get yourself a good test kit -- either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100. Read the Poolgamb about Defeating Algae and how to Shock Your Pool.

Thanks for sharing!I dumped a 3 gallon pail of chlorine in about 4 days ago, that is what switched it from green to cloudy, and also what I called "shocked".
There is about 3-4" of visibility in there, pretty bad..
I went in it yesterday to have a better look/feel, there is no slime. Besides the color you would never know anything was wrong..

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”