Cloudy Swimming Pool Water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

Postby rosalind » Wed 30 May, 2012 00:59

With thinking that you had to ask this query on this community, it is probable you know bit regarding taking care of the pool water. So I will advice that the excellent idea is to take a water sample to a store of pool chemical supply. They will examine the water and tell you appropriate what require to be done to make the clear water.

lightandspace
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby lightandspace » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 01:43

its was all great man...in fact I first ever hearing these words clouds pool covers... its amazing
Ray & Cheryl

Postby Ray & Cheryl » Wed 04 Jul, 2012 11:33

Cloudy Pool Problem Solved With Quick Drain
This has been the most discouraging pool opening ever!!!!!!!! We have had a pool since 1985, we presently have a Jacuzzi pump and filter . This year…our pool water has been SO cloudy that we could NOT see the top rung of the ladder….let alone the bottom of the pool. The chemical readings were fine, we even went as far as changing the filter sand and still no good results, it seemed no matter what we did ended at a dead end. Then we got this bright idea to shut the pool down for one night, well would you believe it in the morning….everything had settled to the bottom….CLEAR….we could see the pool bottom the ladder everything!!!!! At this point it wasn’t hard to figure out what was going on, by keeping the pool running…this very light…almost like a talcum powder was forced to circulate or crawl if you will through the water keeping the pool cloudy, with the pool off for several hours it had a chance to settle to the bottom in pockets all over…NOW TO GET RID OF IT!!!! We used this new idea called “QUICK DRAIN”. With this new amazing device we were able to very quickly vacuum (with filter on waste) all of the pollutant from the pool. In order to completely eradicate the pollutant we knew there was going to be a good amount of water loss meaning the pool water level would probably need to go down below the skimmer also meaning that the pump would no longer be able to run. Thanks to Quick Drain which allows you to continue vacuuming with the water level BELOW the skimmer we didn’t need to shut the pool down. Once finished vacuuming with the filter dial back in the filter position we left Quick Drain inserted in the skimmer to continue recirculating the water until (with the help of a garden hose) it regained its original depth @ the skimmer, this also allowed us to continue enjoying our pool while Quick Drain was doing the work…. “QUICK DRAIN”…an amazing product
swimlikearock
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' round Doughboy | Hayward Cartridge Filter | Hayward 1hp Pump | Oxygen Pools Water Treatment System |

Re: Cloudy Swimming Pool Water

Postby swimlikearock » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 11:14

I use a non-chlorine system called Oxygen Pools and I normally don't get cloudy water unless there is a lot of rain. If it rains heavy and the water does get cloudy, I just double dose with Formula O and it clears it right up.
Cesolar
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Ulrich Pool

Postby Cesolar » Wed 30 May, 2018 05:56

chem geek wrote:You need to get yourself a good test kit -- either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100. Read the Poolgamb about Defeating Algae and how to Shock Your Pool.

Thanks for sharing!I dumped a 3 gallon pail of chlorine in about 4 days ago, that is what switched it from green to cloudy, and also what I called "shocked".
There is about 3-4" of visibility in there, pretty bad..
I went in it yesterday to have a better look/feel, there is no slime. Besides the color you would never know anything was wrong..
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 30 May, 2018 06:16

Cesolar wrote:
chem geek wrote:You need to get yourself a good test kit -- either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100. Read the Pool about Defeating Algae and how to Shock Your Pool.

Thanks for sharing!I dumped a 3 gallon pail of chlorine in about 4 days ago, that is what switched it from green to cloudy, and also what I called "shocked".
There is about 3-4" of visibility in there, pretty bad..
I went in it yesterday to have a better look/feel, there is no slime. Besides the color you would never know anything was wrong..

As "chem geek" said you need to get a decent test kit (K2006c or TF100) because you need to test regularly
You have an algae bloom and need to Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) with relation to your Chlorine / CYA Chart and your recommended Pool Levels
Keep brushing, filtering and backwashing
AleeshiaLane

Postby AleeshiaLane » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 15:20

Need help
Hardness: 500
TC: 1
FC:10
Ph:6.8
Total Alkalinity:120
Stabilizer:0

14 foot 3.5 deep above ground pool
Blue green cloudy.
White particles floating throughout.
Used Shock/Algaecide
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 16:39

Your figures are way off but you haven't included CYA(Cyanuric acid)
Also what is your pool construction
It seems you have an algae bloom
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 22:49

Above ground suggests vinyl liner pool. Is the water grey/blue from dead algae? What filter & pump setup have you and has the pool got a surface skimmer or just a pipe through the wall to the pump?
Nicky Morgan
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is kinda oval shaped and perfect for our family. I love it.

Re: Frustrated with cloudy water

Postby Nicky Morgan » Sun 02 Jun, 2019 08:54

Steve P wrote:Hi everyone

My pool (above ground 12' x 3' deep) water is cloudy and I can't seem to fix it. The ph level is in the normal range. Algae became a problem when we were away so I added a gallon of standard bleach than lots of flocculent. Nothing. Does anybody have any advice?

Good to hear that others have this problem too. If there is any solution... please let me know.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 02 Jun, 2019 10:18

Read the previous posts. The solution is in there
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 02 Jun, 2019 16:23

Nicky Morgan wrote:

My pool (above ground 12' x 3' deep) water is cloudy and I can't seem to fix it. The ph level is in the normal range. Algae became a problem when we were away so I added a gallon of standard bleach than lots of flocculent. Nothing. Does anybody have any advice?

Good to hear that others have this problem too. If there is any solution... please let me know.

Hi Nicky a bit more information on your pool, filtration and pump/plumbing would help along with latest water test results.
You need to shock your pool (SLAM) as Dennis says. Shock is a process not a product, It's raising the free chlorine level high enough and holding that level with regular additions of chlorine until everything is oxidised out of the water. Your filtration can only remove what it can and that's the difference between great filtration and poor, poor will get there it just takes longer.
GoshaCruel
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have Intex Metal Frame Pool with Pump . 12 foot round pool and is 30 inches deep

Postby GoshaCruel » Tue 26 May, 2020 12:07

Essentially, if your pool is green or cloudy , this means one thing: there is insufficient or no chlorine whatsoever in your pool. If you plan to shock the pool, this means that you should be adding a lot of chlorine. Doing a test beforehand is important.

You should also test for pH: if the pH is too high, the shock will make your pool cloudy. And you don’t want that either.
kevbo3178
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24 foot above ground pool - vinyl liner - cartridge filter - using chlorine tabs

Postby kevbo3178 » Wed 27 May, 2020 08:11

I have a 24 ft above ground pool with cartridge filter. I cannot get my pool cleared up this season as of yet. The water is blue and cloudy. I've had the water tested 3 times t 2 local pool stores and each time they said everything looks good and to continue running the filter for 24 hours until clear, which I've bene doing for 2 weeks.

The issue I'm having is foaming on the surface of the pool (dirty film) as well as a scum line on the vinyl liner and grey gooey sludge stuck on the cartridge as well as inside the filter and in the housing of the skimmer basket. The sludge is very difficult to remove and I'm unsure what the grey sludge is or how to put a stop to it. When I spray off the cartridge it will come off after while and when spraying the cartridge, a lot of soapy suds are also coming off. When I get the grey sludge on my hands it's very sticky and difficult to get off.

Any assistance is appreciated in identifying the issue and how to treat it and clear up the pool water.
jgrav8
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 22000 gallon
Vinyl
Use chlorine tabs
Sand filter 4 years old - Pentair

Postby jgrav8 » Sat 30 May, 2020 16:51

Hello all - my info below:

Problem: Opened for season on May 15. Water was not clear but became more cloudy over next week. Still cloudy after multiple remedies tried.
FC: 4
TC: 4
pH: 7.6
TA: 120
CH: 300
CYA: 55
My pool: Inground, 22000 gallon, vinyl liner
Pool chemicals: Liquid shock. Clear Aid
My pump & filter: Pentair Sand Filter model TA60D. Installed 2 years ago.
Other info: 80 degrees pool temp. No swimmers yet this year. From yesterday thru next several days, sunny and temps in 70s to mid 80s.

Readings are as of less than an hour ago. Yesterday, readings indicated high level of combined chlorine. Shocked this morning with 4 gallons liquid shock. Pump has been running around the clock. Waited 4-5 hours - added Clear Aid to pool.

I have been brushing this pool at least twice per day. I am not seeing much moving from bottom of pool anymore. Appearance is pale/dishwater type in shallow end. Deep end is also pale with a light blue/green hue.

Phosphates have increased from 100 yesterday to 400 today.

I have backwashed filter a couple of times since starting. As of now - pressure not increasing more than maybe 1 lb. above baseline reading.

Appreciate any direction you can help with.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”