Frustrated in Rhode Island

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
ricappy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Frustrated in Rhode Island

Postby ricappy » Thu 31 May, 2007 15:30

Yes, I have a cloudy pool!

We didn't officially close or cover it last year, and I guess I should have expected some problems this year for not doing so... My water is a cloudy mess. I went to the local pool store and told them we didn't cover it. They gave us some super algaecide and super soluble and told us to add it to the water. We poured the algecide in and half of the super soluble. We let that circulate for about 4 hours and then poured the rest of the super soluble in. It definitely lightened up, but is just cloudy cloudy cloudy. I went back to the pool store and they tested the water and gave me another jug of the super soluble. Added it... and a day later it's still cloudy. Now my filters been running since Saturday 24/7 (that's 5 days) and with all the chemicals added... and it's still cloudy. It's possible there could be some leaves at the bottom of the pool, but I can't see and I would think I would be able to at least see some darker patches if there were leaves down there. I checked this morning and my ph is low, my alkalinity is low and the stabalizer is low and the chlorine is high. I just don't even know what to do now!! *sigh* :cry:

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 00:14

I hear your frustration. It can take a week to clear up.

You can get this cleared up. Please post your actual readings for everything and we can help you get those levels up. Also, include the type of pool, ie plaster, vinyl, fiberglass and the pool volume.

If you do this, we can tell you how to raise or lower your levels and get back in balance. Once in balance it should only take you a minute or so per day to keep it that way and maybe 1/2 hour on the weekends.
ricappy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ricappy » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 13:30

I have an aboveground 27 foot pool, vinyl lined.

On a hunch, due to me NOT covering my pool last year, I decided to push around a leaf catcher and my hubby and I pulled out about 8-10 bags of leaves. Now the water isn't cloudy anymore... it's green again.

So we threw in 3 bags of 4 in 1 shock and it's filtering now.

I took my readings and they are as follows:

PH: 6.2
Free Chlorine: 3ppm
Total Alkalinity: between 0 - 40ppm
Stabilizer: between 0 - 30/50ppm

Should I add more algaecide? More shock?
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 15:20

Wow! That's a lot of leaves. Pretty yicky job, huh?

I'm going to assume your pool is around 20,000 gallons. You didn't give me the pool volume, nor enough information to calculate. So you will need to figure your volume. Knowing your pool volume is very important for dosing.

Based on 20,000 gallons: (adjust according to your volume)

You need to get that pH and TA up pronto! Going below 7.0 can cause permanent puckers and wrinkles in your vinyl. TA buffers pH

Add 18 pounds of sodium bicarbonate from the pool store - or this is the same thing as Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (yellow box in the baking supplies aisle)

Add 4 gallons of regular strength chlorox, which should bring you to a good shock level. Don't let your chlorine go below 3, ever.

Let pool circulate for 24 hours before retesting.

Run your pump 7/24, backwash daily, brush and vacuum until you get your water in balance and truly sanitized.
ricappy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ricappy » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 15:47

Chlorox.... like chlorox bleach that I do laundry with?? :?
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 22:07

Yes, as long as it is regular or ultra and not scented or that no drip gel formula. Just plain old laundry bleach.

Postby Guest » Sat 09 Jun, 2007 21:30

Don't feel bad, I had a ripped cover and opening the pool this year was a small nightmare. Took about a week to get the pool cleaned, any heavy debris on the bottom will make it harder. Lesson learned for this year, we will be investing in a new cover.
etuma5

frustrated with cloudy water

Postby etuma5 » Sat 16 Jun, 2007 22:59

I have a 16 x 33 oval 4 foot pool and I can't get rid of the cloudy water.

I got a new sand filter because my old one filled my pool with sand.

I can't figure it out. I've added muric acid, I've added ph increase, decrease, shock, I've called pool stores, I've used pool strips, 4 step kits.

HOw long shoud it take to clear? Looking for the right answers please.

What can I do?
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 00:18

Post all your test readings - using a real test kit, not strips.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”