Opening a pool that has been sitting for 2 years uncoverd

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
dutch

Opening a pool that has been sitting for 2 years uncoverd

Postby dutch » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 15:21

I recently purchased a house with an inground pool. The pool is in a wooded area so I'm sure its full of leaves. The previous owner didn't cover it and it hasn't been opened for 2 years. I don't want to drain it, but could use some suggestions on how to get the leaves out of the deeper end. I've had a pool before, so the water won't be a problem. So my question is, is it ok to vaccum out the leaves at the bottom of the deep end of the pool?

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 18:01

Pools in this condition normally require scooping rather than vacuuming. Some linings can be damaged by the scoops however the reality is this is the best way to go.

If the pool has been sitting for two years, if it has a sand filter get a sand change done. It may also be a good idea to change the pump. It might work okay without load but often these pumps are stuffed after a period of non use like that.

HTH
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 18:16

I suppose you could try to vacuum it out, but I would suggest trying to vacuum to waste, if you have that setting. That way you will need to replace some of the water with fresh fill. If not, you will fill up the hair/lint skimmer basket at the pump in about 2 minutes flat.

I'd get a long telescoping pole and a leaf net and try to scoop out as much as possible.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 19:48

Buggsw wrote:I'd get a long telescoping pole and a leaf net and try to scoop out as much as possible.

Bugss is right. Get a leaf net. I just opened up the pool for the first time at our new (old) house. Same scenario...previous owner neglect, hadn't been opened in two years, etc. I couldn't see the bottom and tried vacuuming to waste and unbeknownst to be there was SO much stuff on the bottom I ended up clogging my suction line with gook. Trust me, you do NOT want to go through that! I had to get out my sewer snake and snake the line to break the clog.

Needless to say, I bought a leaf rake and dragged the bottom. I must have pulled out eight or nine net loads of leaves, sticks and just plain gunk and that was WITH a winter cover on. You may have all sorts of thing in the pool, including dead animals. :shock:

Leaf Rake. Fedex. :lol:

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”