First time poster on cloudy water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
BcCarr
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Doughboy 18 foot above ground. Sand filter

First time poster on cloudy water

Postby BcCarr » Mon 29 Apr, 2019 15:18

First time poster here and I’ve read through a lot of the cloudy water post but just not seeing how or what I can do to clear it up?

I have a 18 diameter 5 foot, Doughboy Pool with sand filter, sand was changed last year. Did I large shock to kill algae.

Went to Leslie’s pool and they ran numbers

FAC. 5
TAC. 5 (this was about 24 hours after a shock)
CH. 210
CYA. 30
TA. 90
pH. 7.4
Cooper. 0
Iron. 0
TDS. 600
PHO. 0

Not sure how to post pics but can’t get the white, milky cloudiness gone.

Thanks again

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: First time poster on cloudy water

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 10:58

If you had algae then you need to Slam and with a CYA of 30 need a shock level of 10
Slamming requires regular multiple daily testing to keep the chlorine at the correct level
You would do well to get a FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or T F Testkits TF100)
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 13:05

Also your tiny filter will be working it's little socks off. Regular backwashing to clear the filter will be needed. Unfortunately it takes time and chlorine as Dennis described, it would clear up quicker with a bigger filter, how many hours are you running the pump?
BcCarr
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby BcCarr » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 13:47

Denniswiseman wrote:If you had algae then you need to Slam and with a CYA of 30 need a shock level of 10
Slamming requires regular multiple daily testing to keep the chlorine at the correct level
You would do well to get a FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or T F Testkits TF100)

I did this prior to knowing the SLAM method. I did have algea and did 8 lbs of shock prior. We use the Taylor K2006, wife's numbers were consistent with Leslie's Pools.
BcCarr
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby BcCarr » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 13:54

Teapot wrote:Also your tiny filter will be working it's little socks off. Regular backwashing to clear the filter will be needed. Unfortunately it takes time and chlorine as Dennis described, it would clear up quicker with a bigger filter, how many hours are you running the pump?

We have the Doughboy 20 inch filter
High Density Polyethylene 20″ (O.D.) Dia. Tank
7 Position Valve
2 ea. 11/2″ x 8 ft. & 1 ea. 11/2″ x 32″ pump to filter pressure hose
2 sq. ft. surface area
Sand Capacity–150 lbs
Free-standing filter design
PowerLine™ XP Pump Series — ¾, 1½ hp

I ran it 24 hours for about 2-3 days, since the post date on this. But have started just during the day
BcCarr
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby BcCarr » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 14:02

I have pictures but don't have access to upload them. Sorry this forum is set up different from my fishing ones :D
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 01 May, 2019 01:15

Well done on the filter, 20" is fine, so frequently we see 12-14".
Your CYA figure, was that before the 8lbs of shock or after?
Shock is a process and not a product, to stop your CYA from getting to high you could switch to liquid chlorine like Walmart bleach.
I would go back to your shock level as Dennis suggest at 10ppm as this will oxidise the haze out of the water quicker. You could also use a flocculant/clarifier in the skimmer to catch finer particles quicker, oh and run the pump longer until it's cleared.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing
BcCarr
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby BcCarr » Wed 01 May, 2019 11:01

Teapot wrote:Well done on the filter, 20" is fine, so frequently we see 12-14".
Your CYA figure, was that before the 8lbs of shock or after?
Shock is a process and not a product, to stop your CYA from getting to high you could switch to liquid chlorine like Walmart bleach.
I would go back to your shock level as Dennis suggest at 10ppm as this will oxidise the haze out of the water quicker. You could also use a flocculant/clarifier in the skimmer to catch finer particles quicker, oh and run the pump longer until it's cleared.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing

Yeah that was roughly a day or two after shocking. I did 8lbs for my 10,000 gallon pool.

I have done Clear Aid water clarifier from Leslie's Pool (Local pool store), twice to no avail. I will probably do another round of the cholrine to clear it up.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 01 May, 2019 11:08

A day or two might mean it hadn't fully dissolved into solution so worth repeating the test. CYA controls the effectiveness of the chlorine so you may need to go a bit higher on the free chlorine level.
BcCarr
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby BcCarr » Wed 01 May, 2019 12:22

Teapot wrote:A day or two might mean it hadn't fully dissolved into solution so worth repeating the test. CYA controls the effectiveness of the chlorine so you may need to go a bit higher on the free chlorine level.

So as a beginner as I am, would you suggest I do 8-10 1lb bags of chlorine for my 10,000 gallon pool? or liquid chlorine? Thanks again for the help guys
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 01 May, 2019 14:14

Flocculant and clarifiers are funny in pools, once floccs have been formed frequently they get smashed up again because the filtration is too fierce. Slowing down the flow means collecting finer dirt and floccs easier and therefore clearer water. Faster is not better
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 01 May, 2019 14:15

I would use liquid, that has no CYA unlike other forms
BcCarr
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby BcCarr » Wed 01 May, 2019 14:51

Teapot wrote:I would use liquid, that has no CYA unlike other forms

Thank you
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 01 May, 2019 17:00

Don't forget regular daily testing to keep your pool at shock level or above
Using solid chlorine (stabilised) adds CYA or Calcium and higher CYA raises your shock level
BcCarr
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby BcCarr » Fri 03 May, 2019 08:23

Using the Taylor kit my TA is roughly 140 ppm, PH 7.5 and chlorine numbers are in range of 2-4. When I had it tested by the pool place they registered a 90. So I am assuming adding Muriatic Acid to lower the TA into normal range? Thanks again guys

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”