Skimmer Sock Dropping Pressure to Zero

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
tpharris
I'm new here
I'm new here

Skimmer Sock Dropping Pressure to Zero

Postby tpharris » Fri 24 May, 2019 01:59

Hello,

Simple question l hope. I used skimmer sock for the first time today and it will run fine (9psi) for about 10min and then the pump will lose all pressure and drop to zero. Pressure will not stabilize back to 9psi until I take the sock out. I have a cloudy light green pool (progree from BLACK) that I'm SLAMming at the moment. So I will like yo use the sock to prevent the very small dust (dead algae) from coming back in the pool. I plan to vacuum to waste tomorrow, but wanted to try to sock method over night. Any idea why this is happening? Zero pressure indicates air, right? Could the sock be too long?

24in round, vinyl liner, test kit Taylor k2006, cya 40, FC (SLAM), ph 7.4 at the start of SLAM.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Skimmer Sock Dropping Pressure to Zero

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 24 May, 2019 07:17

When you take the sock out is it covered in dead algae. If so then that is blocking the flow allowing air to be sucked in
What you are collecting in the sock should easily be filtered out by the filter. Any thing that would pass through the filter would also pass through the sock
What type of filter are you using?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 24 May, 2019 11:24

I agree with Dennis, but socks can help as you can strain out a lot of mess without frequently backwashing if water is scarce.
Your problem however is an air leak. the restriction caused by the sock means air is being drawn in as air is easier to move. Check your pump pre filter lid, clean the O ring and lightly grease with silicone grease and try again.
tpharris
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: RE: Re: Skimmer Sock Dropping Pressure to Zero

Postby tpharris » Fri 24 May, 2019 19:35

Denniswiseman wrote:When you take the sock out is it covered in dead algae. If so then that is blocking the flow allowing air to be sucked in
What you are collecting in the sock should easily be filtered out by the filter. Any thing that would pass through the filter would also pass through the sock
What type of filter are you using?
I have DE filter. Based on your post I added a little more DE b/c I just cleaned the filter completely and add new DE on 2 nights ago. Thinking maybe I didnt use enough.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 24 May, 2019 23:22

AHH could be. If you have DE, then skimmer socks will save you some money as DE will clog easily with dirty water and you'll be constantly backwashing it away and having to replace.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”