Cloudy water after adding pH Up

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Jillybeanball
I'm new here
I'm new here

Cloudy water after adding pH Up

Postby Jillybeanball » Mon 29 Jul, 2019 16:56

Problem:
I tested my water yesterday, and my pH was low (at 6.8). So I added Clorox pH Up for the first time, but I didn’t know that I needed to make a slurry with water in a bucket before I broadcast it around the pool, so I just broadcast the powder directly. The water is very milky, and I can’t see more than 2 or 3 inches below the surface. There are bubbles coming out of the pump, and every once in awhile they are visibly white and obviously saturated with white. I ran my pump for eight hours yesterday, changing the filter in the middle, and today it is still just as milky. There is also what looks like an oil slick on the surface around the edges. I went to a pool store, and the lady told me to use a clarifier. So I put in 1.5 ounces of Robarb Super Blue correctly as directed. I have had the pump on for four hours now, with no hint at a change or improvement. Should I just keep waiting and keep filtering? Or should I be doing something else? It has been 24 hours, with 10 or 12 of those hours with the pump running. I know our TA is high, and the pH is still low, so I need to address that, but how do I get the water to clear up first? I can bring a water sample to the store and they’ll test it for me, but I was hoping someone had something I could try to get rid of the cloudiness/milkiness first. Thank you!!!

FC: 3
TC: 3
PH: 6.8
TA: 240 (strip tops out at that)
Total Hardness: 110
Stabilizer: 30

My pool: Intex vinyl 15’x42”
Pool chemicals: 1” chlorine tabs in dispenser, Xtra Blue Pool Shock, hth Algae Guard 30
My pump & filter: Intex 1000 GPH cartridge filter pump
Other info:

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Cloudy water after adding pH Up

Postby Teapot » Tue 30 Jul, 2019 07:22

My advice, give it time.
Second if TA really is 240ppm then you should have just aerated the water, the pH would have risen.
Strips are pretty much useless.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”