Cloudy water & chemicals

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
PJC

Cloudy water & chemicals

Postby PJC » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 15:03

I have a 10,000 gal in-ground pool in So. California. The deep end is only 5.5 ft. and the shallow is 3 ft. I just recently cleaned my filter elements. My alkalinity was quite high so I added 3 gallons of Muriatic acid over the last ten days. Now I have about 80 ppm Alkalinity and my Ph is about 6.9 using test strips. However, the chlorine does not register and the water is still very cloudy. Any suggestions?

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 15:55

You need to get your ph up past 7.0. Anything below 7.0 can damage your pool.

We also need to know your CYA and hardness levels. Can you test & post?

Postby Guest » Mon 02 Jul, 2007 10:22

Here are the numbers I got using a test strip. I tried to get a good testing kit but could not find one in the local stores. Any help on that?

TH 1000
FC 0
pH 7.1
TA 200
CYA 125
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 02 Jul, 2007 12:37

Anonymous wrote:Here are the numbers I got using a test strip. I tried to get a good testing kit but could not find one in the local stores. Any help on that?

TH 1000
FC 0
pH 7.1
TA 200
CYA 125

WOW, thats some HARD water (TH 1000). Are you sure that's correct and not 100?!

You need chlorine...yesterday. With a CYA level of 125 it will take a lot to shock. Don't use pucks or anything but bleach until you can get your CYA level down. Yup, good ole clorox. Go to Wal-mart and get the ultra bleach (plain ole' bleach, not scented or thick) and use this type of chlorine as it doesn't have stabilizers (CYA) which you have too much of already.

As for test kits, a bunch of us hang out at troublefreepool . com and they sell an excellent test kit. Get it at www tftestkits com

Postby Guest » Tue 03 Jul, 2007 19:15

I took a sample into Leslies and the TH actually measured over 2000. I've decided to chuck it all and start over. I rented a sump pump and have been pumping it out. Probably a good time to clean up the brown stains on my gunite. Guess I'll switch to the stain forum.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”