CLOUDY WATER

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Wed 18 Jul, 2007 11:57

D-CEE wrote:Our hoses are 1.5" and the only sand filters i have found come with 1.25".

All aboveground Hayward sand filters have 1-1/2 inch connections.

===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
biodieselguy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby biodieselguy » Wed 18 Jul, 2007 14:09

MIne are actually the opposite of what you are saying , maybe you got it backwards . My pool has 1 1/4 hoses and the san filter has 1 1/2 plumbing . What I did was used pvc plumbing for everything but right where it connects to the pool and then used a bushing to reduce to 1 1/4 pvc with a pipe thread connector and added a hose barb . Then you just use a small piece of hose to connect the two together . I ran mine with almost all pipe mainly because the people at the pool store told me that the larger pump would collapse the hose if you tried to use one of the automatic vacuums on the small pools like this . I don't have an auto vac yet , so I still don't know about that part , but I used pipe so I could upgrade to a better cleaning system if I wanted to . Since adding the larger pump and sand filter the pool is so easy to keep clean that I will probably not bother with the auto system though .
biodieselguy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby biodieselguy » Wed 18 Jul, 2007 14:25

My pool came with some little black plugs that you put over the inlet on the inside of the pool when servicing the filter . You plug the lines with those while installing the new filter setup . If you don't still have them you can find some other kind of plug to fit the hoses on the inside of your pool . When I vacuum my pool I usually just vacuum to the filter . But even with vacuuming to the filter you will occasionally have to backwash the filter and add water . I have not had any problems with my filter setup not being able to filter out the silt though . If you still have problems with silt you can filter te water through a whole house water filter as you fill your pool . Just hook it up to your hose and fill the pool through it . They usually have 3/4" NPT fittings , but the hardware store has adapters to connect to hose fittings .
D-CEE
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby D-CEE » Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:14

biodieselguy
I don't think we have the same pool mine came with these plunger things that are on the outside of the pool so you can service the filter. Mine is the metal frame 18x48. and my hoses are the 1.5"
I guess I wasn't looking at the right place for a filter though. The pool store had a model that is supposed to be compatible with these pool but had 1.25 hoses so they told me i couldn't use with my pool. I guess i just thought no other filter would work on this type of pool. We did try the whole house filter with garden hose..did filter some but still a little gets through which cloudes the water again. Well drillers are looking into problem with this silt in our water. I don't know very much about sand filters what is 20# is that how much sand it holds? and which brand is best?
biodieselguy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby biodieselguy » Sat 21 Jul, 2007 00:56

I did not go to the pool store for my new filter and pump setup , I got it on craigslist from someone who was taking down a aboveground pool . My filter was for a 22 foot diameter 52 inch deep pool , the pump and filter are Hayward . You ask about a 22# , that number does not really make sense to me . It should be more like 16-22" and the other number will be something like 150-200# . The number with the " in it is the diameter and the number with the # is the amount of sand it holds . If the filter you are looking at really is 22 pounds it is likely way too small to really be any better than what you have . I changed my filter to the larger sand filter not only for better filtration , but also so I would have less time servicing the the system . With the larger filter I rarely have to backwash the filter and when I do it only takes a short amount of time . The sand filters are readily available on Ebay for reasonable prices , or you might find one on Craigsllist like I did , possibly even in the local classifieds . People often decide to remove thier pools and just sell the pumps and filters from them for reasonable prices . My pool is the same dimensions as yours , but it was last years pool . I have noticed on the pool isle at walmart that the ones they are selling this year have a different looking pump than mine came with , but the same type pool . If you have the 1 1/2" hose connections it will be a really easy install for you because you already have the right size plumbing . Just find a decent sized sand filter for a normal above ground pool and it will hook right up . I was told that anything over the 1hp pump might be too much for the small pools like ours , not really sure if that is true or not . What we were told was that it might collapse the walls of the pool . I have not had any problems at all with the 1hp and it has plenty of power for my pool . The Walmart here in my area has 1 micron carbon elements for the whole house water filters in stock and they are not very expensive , like $6 for two . These will filter all of the visible particles from your water . If you are still getting silt through the 1 micron filter it is because you are putting too much water pressure on them and it is bypassing and going around the filter at the top and bottom of the housing . If that is the case slow down the water flow a little and it should improve . You will also want to keep an eye on the element ans wash it when it starts to plug up . The ones like this that filter really fine are not as good for high flow applications , but will be okay to get your pool filled up . I have the 1 micron filters in line in several places in my home , laundry and showers etc .
biodieselguy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby biodieselguy » Sat 21 Jul, 2007 01:01

Here is an example of what I would be looking for if I were you , not sure if it is in the right part of the state though .

detroit(dot)craigslist(dot)org/for/376762494(dot)html

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”