cloudy and now greenish AGAIN...

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.

Postby Guest » Mon 09 Jul, 2007 16:02

I'm having the same problem with cloudy green water, we just had a rental DE filter on (ours is sand) from Thurs to Monday and our pool is crystal clear, hoping it will stay that way. For some reason the particles in the water are too small for the sand to capture. We had a high phosphate level so added something to lower that this weekend too.

The other option our pool store suggested was a 24 hour chlorine demand test to see how much chlorine we need to add all at once to knock out whatever is in there. They'll do that if we start going cloudy again.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 09 Jul, 2007 19:33

Anonymous wrote:I'm having the same problem with cloudy green water, we just had a rental DE filter on (ours is sand) from Thurs to Monday and our pool is crystal clear, hoping it will stay that way.

No need to rent a filter and go through that hassle. Just buy some DE and add it to your sand filter. Voila! Instant DE filter rental. The DE will trap the tiny particles and it all gets backwashed out. $20 will buy you 25 pounds...enough for several of these "rentals". :P

Floc is also an option for microscopic particles.

Anonymous wrote:The other option our pool store suggested was a 24 hour chlorine demand test to see how much chlorine we need to add all at once to knock out whatever is in there. They'll do that if we start going cloudy again.

Or, buy a good test kit and do it yourself. If your CC numbers are high and your water is cloudy, just get your pool to shock level and keep it there for 24 hours.
Ziora
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Adding DE to a sand filter

Postby Ziora » Thu 12 Jul, 2007 20:01

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question. Can you add the DE to a sand filter from the skimmer, letting it suck it into the filter? How much do you add?

I asked someone at a pool store about that today and she said not to do it, but I don't see why not. Wouldn't it get washed out when you back wash?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Adding DE to a sand filter

Postby Backglass » Thu 12 Jul, 2007 20:30

Ziora wrote:This is probably going to sound like a stupid question. Can you add the DE to a sand filter from the skimmer, letting it suck it into the filter? How much do you add?

I asked someone at a pool store about that today and she said not to do it, but I don't see why not. Wouldn't it get washed out when you back wash?

Thats exactly how you do it. It's silly to rent a DE filter (unless you are the one doing the renting ;)).

Just buy some DE and add a cup or two to your sand filter. It cant hurt the filter...because DE is (drum roll) DIRT. And DIRT gets backwashed out!

It's an easy way to get DE like filtering in those instances when you need it.
RTK
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby RTK » Sat 28 Jul, 2007 20:18

The DE they sell locally is crystalline silica, is this the same thing???
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 08:33

RTK wrote:The DE they sell locally is crystalline silica, is this the same thing???

No. DE is DE (Diatomaceous Earth), it wouldn't have any other name. Crystalline Silica is silica sand for a sand filter.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”