Drain and start over or try something else

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
CB799
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 32,000 Gallon in ground, SWG, Cartridge Filter, Plaster / Gunite Built in 1965

Drain and start over or try something else

Postby CB799 » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 09:48

Hello all, appreciate any help that you can give!

Last year I swapped the DE filter for a cartridge filter, have struggled with cloudy water ever since. Last summer I had to constantly use a Floc to keep the water clear. Fast forward to now, opening the pool and again dealing with cloudy water.

I have 2 recommendations:
1. Drain and start over, we moved in 5 years ago and have never drained the pool. We do live in a very arid area so I add a lot of water during the summer.
2. Add about 45 lbs of shock, see #s below. I assume this would be a SLAM??

32,000 Gallon, SWG, Cartridge Filter, In Ground
FC .78
TC 11.56
pH 7.5
TA 110
CH 360
CYA 5
Phosphates 59
Salt 3973

I know I will have to drain a good amount to get the salt #'s down, but do I really need to drain the whole thing?

Again main issue is recurring cloudiness.

Thanks!

CB

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Drain and start over or try something else

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 29 Apr, 2021 12:14

You really need to Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) with relation to Chlorine / CYA Chart and Recommended Pool Levels
A CC (combined chlorine) of 10.78 is pretty horrendous Turn off your SWCG and use Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach). You will also have to raise your CYA to 80 with a SWCG, put stabilisor in a sock and hang in front of a return, don't put in the skimmer
Regarding your salt, what does the SWCG recommend because if you want to reduce it only drain off sufficient to get to the right level
If you want to get to 3000 just drain off 25%
Bear in mind that slamming is not just a single process but is ongoing that's why it's best to have your own test kit as you could be testing quiet often during the day untill you are finished

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”