Cloudy water after mustard algae issue

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
timmy.reiner
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 28,000 gallon
Vinyl liner
Pentair 520 cartridge
Hayward Superpump

Cloudy water after mustard algae issue

Postby timmy.reiner » Tue 17 Aug, 2021 13:38

Hello,
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Up until Sunday I have been dealing with mustard algae for the last few weeks (3 cases of TurboShock), finally after 6 gallons of liquid shock (no more powder readily available where I live) and 4 bags of cal-hyp by Poolife (last I had), I finally am rid of the dusty grey/pale yellow algae. My pool is balanced, but I am still getting a haze that I can't shake and as a result, the pool doesn't sparkle. I cleaned the cartridges last night.

This haze has been going on prior to the mustard algae since opening mid-April. I am looking for guidance. The pool is still coming off the chlorine high, so I recognize based on the numbers below, they are slightly out of range.

Free Chlorine: 4.99
Total Chlorine: 5.52
Combined Chlorine: 0.53
pH: 7.4
Alkalinity: 97
Hardness: 309
Cyanuric Acid: 28
Iron: 0.2 (well water)
Phosphate: 81

I have a Pentair 520 cartridge filter, hayward superpump, vinyl liner, 28,000 gallon pool. I live in NJ and while last week, it was HOT, this week is cooler but haven't seen any significant rain.

The local pool supply company wants me to floc my pool, I do have a waste value I installed prior to the filter, however when it is completely open, the water gauge drops to 5 so I'm not sure if that is damaging to the pump/pipe infrastructure.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Cloudy water after mustard algae issue

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 18 Aug, 2021 04:14

With a CYA of 30 you need to keep your chlorine at about where it is on 5 but on 12 to Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) with relation to Chlorine / CYA Chart and Recommended Pool Levels which I recommend
Continue to use Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
It's good you have a waste outlet and I take it you mean a pressure gauge. Because you are missing out the filter the pressure will drop as there is no resistance through the filter
timmy.reiner
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 28,000 gallon
Vinyl liner
Pentair 520 cartridge
Hayward Superpump

Postby timmy.reiner » Wed 18 Aug, 2021 08:45

@Denniswiseman - okay I'll keep the chlorine levels where they are. The pressure gauge comment makes sense, DUH me. What are your thoughts on the flocing or the hazy water?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 19 Aug, 2021 00:46

First of all Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) with a level of 12
After following the process to completion with no difference try floccing to waste, on no account put it through the filter as it will completely gum it up

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”