Deck Drains into Skimmer.

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
miked60
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 31' X 8' lap pool. Jandy equipment

Deck Drains into Skimmer.

Postby miked60 » Sun 29 Aug, 2021 16:09

After six years of installing our pool 31' X 8' and spa 8' x 8', I was hosing down the decking and noticed a foul smell coming from the skimmer. I lifted the lid a noticed a pvc pipe outlet flush with the wall just above the basket. All the drainage from the decking was going to into the skimmer. I called the builder and he said that was an overflow and I need to clean out the deck drains. All deck drains are to lead to the gutter with a sump pump in the front yard to help push things along. I am not sure if the sump pump is working, clogged, or broken. The builder could not help with any diagram of where is the sump pump was located. I'll have to search and dig it up. I hired a power jet company, but I am not sure if that did the trick. I noticed other drains in the garden bedding after the fact, and they are clogged. When jetting out the decking drains, black disgusting water was going into the skimmer. Is it common to have an overflow pipe going to the skimmer or was I a victim of lazy unprofessionals looking for short cut for everything I wash off my decking including dog urine, etc... goes into the skimmer?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Deck Drains into Skimmer.

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 30 Aug, 2021 10:49

All skimmers should have an overflow plumbed to prevent winter and some summer over filling. Yours sounds crazy and yes some PB are idiots
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”