Please Help Me-Can not get inground pool water clear

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
michelledmm
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground pool with vinyl filter. Salt water with cartage filters.

Please Help Me-Can not get inground pool water clear

Postby michelledmm » Fri 20 May, 2022 14:01

Our cover became damaged over the winter, for the 1st time in the 9 years of having the pool it was green when we opened it on 5/11/22
The company put algaecide in it as well as shock and salt when opening.
The pool was completely cloudy-no seeing bottom anywhere, we tested PH was a little high, that was corrected.
When we retested the water it shows as within normal range-still completely cloudy.
We were recommended to add a clarifier…we did. Minimal change.
Then we were recommended to add Pool Floc on the 16th or so (which we now know we should not have because of the cartage filters we use but it’s too late)
We let it set, vacuum with some skimmer socks, let it settle, vacuum, repeat repeat repeat over this week.
We have been working on it diligently and have got it to wear you can see the bottom of the swallow but still not the deep.
The pool is still extremely cloudy. The skimmer socks catch a lot of stuff. We are spraying out the cartages after each vacuuming to prevent the floc building up in them.
Pool company says are water chemicals look good.
We need help. My daughters graduation party is coming up on the 30th and I am terrified the pool won’t be ready.
We are still vacuuming out anything that settles with a manual vacuum and skimmer sock.
Can anyone help me? Tell me what to do? Or who to call for help??

The Millers

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Please Help Me-Can not get inground pool water clear

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 21 May, 2022 02:24

You are doing the right thing, except adding flocculent as you now know. The filtration process takes time (sadly not sold in a convenient bottle) and I have always said you know how good your pool circulation and filtration are when you are trying to clear a pool as you are. Cartridge filters take longer, unless you change to a finer filter, which of course is expensive. On here we dont believe in "in range chemicals" so please post the results of the water tests so we can have a look and dont use dip strip tests, those are at best a guess, proper testing is key. Now you haven't had trouble for years do you may question what I am saying. The thing is when a pool is running properly it takes very little to keep it that way, when you get into trouble thats when you need good help. We can do that with good information including your chlorine stabiliser level CYA. You pay a pool company to do stuff but you have a problem, they are then not a very good pool company, maybe do it yourself, once you get through this you'll probably know more than the pool company!
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
michelledmm
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground pool with vinyl filter. Salt water with cartage filters.

Postby michelledmm » Sat 21 May, 2022 16:53

Do you have an at home testing system you recommend?
We typically take a sample to the local store or do strips at home. I plan to retest in store Monday so I will share those specific numbers.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 22 May, 2022 01:09

If you are in the US, then the Taylor kit K2006 is good.
Just as long as the shop doesnt use strips like many in Europe do. In the meantime adding extra liquid chlorine ( chlorox) would often speed up clearing a bit as the chlorine oxidises more out of the water.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
sktn77a
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 15000 gal inground gunite/plaster (converted from concrete/acrylic). 1hp StaRite DuraGlass P2R pump, 24" Hayward Sand Filter, Teledyne-Laars 250k heater, Hayward CL200 chlorinator, Polaris 380 cleaner with Hayward 6060 booster pump.

Postby sktn77a » Fri 03 Jun, 2022 11:13

You need to "super shock" (SLAM) the pool to get rid of the algae. What is your chlorine and CYA level?

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”