cloudy water after alkalinity up and ph up

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
neikid7

cloudy water after alkalinity up and ph up

Postby neikid7 » Sat 28 Jul, 2007 20:26

I had my water tested at Leslies today,ph was 7.1, total alkalinity 50, ca 220, cya 30, phosphates 500, and chlorine 0. I was told to add 20lbs of alkalinity up wait 4 hours, add 3lbs soda ash, wait 4 hours then add 2 liters of phos free. I followed directions (filter was running and still is) the minute I put the ph up(soda ash) in the pool water turned milky and has been that way since 2:oo this afternoon. Please help, I have had the pool for 2 years and added these chemicals before (This is the first time I have used Leslie's) with no problems.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 08:43

Chemgeek can explain the mechanics, but adding 20lbs of alkalinity up all at once combined with the soda ash could definitely cloud things up. Leave your filter running and give it time

BTW in case you didn't know, "Alkalinity Up" is just sodium bicarbonate also known as Arm & Hammer Baking Soda...12 pounds for $4 at Walmart. Soda Ash is also known as "Arm & Hammer Washing Soda" and $2.69 for 3.5 pounds in the laundry isle. The labels arent as fancy as the pool store though. Same stuff at one tenth the price. ;)
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 01 Aug, 2007 16:27

High pH and high Total Alkalinity (TA) can cause cloudiness which is caused by an over-saturation of calcium carbonate. pH Up causes both the pH to go up and the TA to go up so until it fully dissolves, it can cloud the area where it is added. In fact, if you dump it in too quickly, it can form hard calcium carbonate solid chunks that may or may not eventually dissolve depending on how saturated your pool is with calcium carbonate.

Alkalinity Up mostly just raises the TA, though the pH is raised a little as well, so it can also cause this cloudiness but not usually as much as pH Up.

If a pool is already very saturated with calcium carbonate, then Cal-Hypo can also cause some cloudiness and even bleach or chlorinating liquid can do so though that is much less common to occur (both are due to the higher pH from the added chlorine).

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”