green cloudy water, now blue-white cloudy water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
irishsph

green cloudy water, now blue-white cloudy water

Postby irishsph » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 11:09

After being gone for a few weeks, I of course returned to find my pool looking somewhat like pea soup. I couldn't see the bottom of the pool. I went to my pool store and they suggested super chlorinating it. I did that and within a day the water was still cloudy but at least it was blue.
Then they told me to add clarifier to coagulate the tiny particles causing the cloudiness. I did that a few days ago but my water is still cloudy, almost like the clarifier had no effect (I dumped half a bottle of the stuff in there).

I was also told that my filter could be the problem and that there was too much pressure, or something like that. Being a pool novice (we bought a house that came with an above-ground pool -- 18,000 gals.) i am somewhat over my head.
When running, my filter pressure gauge reads above 40lbs which I am told is very excessive and that I need to backwash to get it down to 8-10 lbs.
that said, how long do i need to backwash for to get my levels proper? I honestly am trying to maintain my pool properly but when you start with no clue, it is slow going.
HELP!

Daniel mc Daid
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Daniel mc Daid » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 11:35

Hey there

This isnt too bad.
First thing is to get your filters working right. When the pressure is up so high it normally means your filter is dirty so yours is in bad need of a good cleaning. The best way of doing this is if you have a sight glass is to set the filter to back wash and just watch the sight glass untill the water runs clear. Now your going to need a lot of water to do this so make sure that your balance tank is well full or that you set your filter to take the water directly from the pool sumps this is prob the best way. If you dont have a sight glass then all you do is backwash for about 10 mins give it a good rinse after about 5 mins and set it back to filtration and check your pressure levels and repeat the process untill you get the right presure readings. If your pool is this cloudy even when you do get the right readings you will have to back wash your pool everyday or two until you have got your water quality back to normal. try this and let me know if i can help any more
irishsph

Postby irishsph » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 11:53

thanks!
but what do you mean by this: Now your going to need a lot of water to do this so make sure that your balance tank is well full or that you set your filter to take the water directly from the pool sumps this is prob the best way.

i don't even know what a balance tank is. I do have a sight glass. Normally, I just turn my valve port to backwash and let it go.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”