Help! Very cloudy white pool water Help!

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Brian5555

Help! Very cloudy white pool water Help!

Postby Brian5555 » Tue 14 Aug, 2007 22:27

As the title says, my above ground swimming pool water is very cloudy and looks almost like milk. You can barely even see the bottom of the pool. We had pretty bad algae along with that since the sides of the pool were green but that is not the problem anymore sine we got rid of it with some scrubbing and algae bomb. We thought that the algae bomb would reduce the cloudiness but we were wrong. Can you please help me with this problem?

Thanks a lot
Brian

paintballpolak5
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby paintballpolak5 » Tue 14 Aug, 2007 22:34

I also vacuumed the pool after the algae bomb and did a backwash of the filter because the water being pumped into the pool was a little yellow but we got rid of it after the backwash.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Wed 15 Aug, 2007 08:27

Algae bomb? What exactly is an algae bomb?

Using your test kit, please post a full set of numbers so we can see where your water is at.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
paintballpolak5
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby paintballpolak5 » Wed 15 Aug, 2007 15:21

Using a cheap and simple pool and spa test kit the reading were:
CL- about 1.2-1.3
PH- about 7.3-7.4

If you can't do anything with these number and by the weekend i'm still having this problem, I'll head over to NAMCO and have them test the water with hardness and all that.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 15 Aug, 2007 20:53

Though it would be good to know the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level, I can pretty much assume that your chlorine level is too low. I'd go ahead and raise the Free Chlorine (FC) level to 15 ppm and get your CYA level tested. You are more likely to be starting an algae bloom (again) than having calcium carbonate over-saturation.

If your CYA level is very, very high, then 15 ppm FC won't be enough, but it will at least get you on the right track. If the CYA is very high, then a partial drain/refill will eventually be needed, but you have other options. If you get the water tested, they can test for phosphates and if high then you can use an expensive phosphate remover, but technically chlorine alone can get rid of algae, but it will take more if the CYA level is higher.

Since you used an algae bomb (not sure what that was), the cloudiness could be dead algae or newly forming algae and the higher FC levels will help break that down. Brushing and filtration (and cleaning the filter) will help clear the pool. If it doesn't start clearing in a day or two, then you can use OMNI Liquid Floc Plus to consolidate the particles which will drop to the floor and then vacuum to waste.
clean_it

Postby clean_it » Thu 16 Aug, 2007 15:10

Make sure your running your filter at this time of year 8hrs a day and after a big algae problem awlays clean filter not just back wash.

Remember algaecide's use up the chlorine to fight algae so within 24hrs take new readings and add chlorine as needed.

I agree with what was said before me take water sample to store and have them test water.

lots of people never add powder-conditioner to pool each year. When this is not added it leaves chlorine unprotected from the sun-rays and can be used up with in a day.

also for above ground pools ph can be 7.8 to 7.6 sometimes when lower cloudiness will happen.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”