Havent touched my pool all winter

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
jlkmwilby

Havent touched my pool all winter

Postby jlkmwilby » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:28

Due to many factors this winter I have not touched my pool.Nor run any filter pump etc
It is filthy..by leaves, debris etc. The bottom looks really bad due to the build up of not cleaning !! and the top needs a good skim, although the water looks pretty clear.

I know i proberly dont deserve your help guys but please could you talk me through how to get my pool ready for my boys by the summer.
:oops: I'm not very experienced with pools as i am pome living in south east queensland. :D

Many thanks

Eric
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 09:27

I'm sure someone who knows more will post shortly, but I figured I get things started.

First, all the junk will need to be removed. If you don't have a net, get one and start mucking.

You will need need to get the chlorine level up to shock level and keep it there for several days. This will require testing every few hours and many gallons of bleach. Exactly how many depends on the size of your pool. You'll need to post this.

Also, if you don't have one, get a good test kit -- you'll be using it several times a day while getting the water in shape. The Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Test Kit K-2006 and the kit from http:// www. tftestkits. com/ are recommended by people on this board.

Finally, when you have them, post your test numbers here. I'm sure many others will chime in with good advice.

Good luck.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 13:20

Eric is spot on.

Job one is getting all the junk in the pool OUT or the chlorine will spend all it's energy trying to eat leaves instead of clearing your water.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Postby Guest » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 20:39

thanks you 2 will start as soon as i can

Postby Guest » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 21:51

keep brushing
fatybabe
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby fatybabe » Wed 29 Aug, 2007 00:39

Before you do shock try running your filter for a good 24 hr period, that will reduce chlorine consumption a bit.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:47

fatybabe wrote:Before you do shock try running your filter for a good 24 hr period, that will reduce chlorine consumption a bit.

This is especially true if the filter is sand and you backwash it after running it. Or if it's cartridge, then clean it after running it. (and with DE, do what is appropriate since different DE filters get cleaned in different ways)

If you don't clean or backwash the filter, then the chlorine flowing through the filter will continue to get used up by the organics caught in the filter, though this might be less than the consumption rate when free floating in the pool (since in the filter the junk is consolidated so isn't as small with high surface area).

Richard

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”