cloudy water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
bowmaniac

cloudy water

Postby bowmaniac » Mon 24 Sep, 2007 13:34

I have a 27 foot above ground pool. I had an algae problem(I let the chlorine tablets run out).Shocked the pool and turned from a green to an aqua blue.Took a water sample to the pool store and they said i had a high phosphate count.i bought some phosphate remover that you broadcast out into the pool. The next day the water was cleared up but there was a lot of white sediment on the bottom.Directions say to vacum to waste but i only have the cartridge type filter.tried to vacum as much as i could (rinsed off the cartridge at least a dozen ttimes)but every time i turn the pump onit stirs it up into the water.Anyway I drained the pool a foot below the skimmer and there is alot of sediment on the bottom still.Do you think when i open it up next spring I should top off the pool or completely drain it and start all over.

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 24 Sep, 2007 14:05

is this a Intex above ground pool and when you vacuum, you use garden hose? or you hookup vacuum to skimmer?

If it's the garden hose type because intex pool, you can try white sock on vacuum to catch more sediment instead of the little sock they give and you can add a 1/2 cup of DE powder to skimmer to help filter catch more sediment when filtering.

If you can attach vacuum to skimmer, you can add 1/2 cup DE powder or 1-cup if big cartridge filter to help. Make sure to soak cartridge in good cleaner to help deep clean it and will work better and last longer.

Postby Guest » Tue 25 Sep, 2007 13:25

I can vacum into the skimmer.I guess i have to wait until spring to decide wether to drain or top off.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 25 Sep, 2007 16:56

So when you vacuum the sediment goes through cartridge filter and back to pool?
How old is your cartridge filter? you may need to buy new one.
If still in good shape than add DE powder through skimmer hole when pump is on about 1/2 cup and then vacuum. This will help cartridge filter catch the fine sediment you are having trouble with, the amount of DE depends on how big filter is, if you have big filter than 1-cup of DE powder which is very cheap to buy.
When trying to vacuum fine sediment you need to place vacuum in pool slow so you do not get sediment floating around. One thing you could do is put in vac prime hose add to skimmer and let it sit for 15mins. then return and start to vacuum so sediment is on bottom. Go very slow when vacuuming and this should do it.
The DE powder will not hurt your filter. Once filter pressure rises to level you normally have to clean filter at cleaning is still the same. I suggest getting filter cleaner andsoaking cartridge in it every time you clean it so it cleans better and lasts longer.
Topping off water will not help and drainig would be waste of water.
gerald payton
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby gerald payton » Tue 25 Sep, 2007 21:15

some intex vacumns have a silk bag in the skimmer hook up.It needs cleaning several times each session.I also went from green to grey blue sorta have been vacumning from outside havent heard how low the cl needs to read to get back in.any responce appreciated
GP in NC AG 18buy4

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”