Cloudy water after chlorinator cleaning??

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Mr Mojo Risin
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Mr Mojo Risin » Tue 06 Nov, 2007 18:36

Newbie here that needs help!
I live in Phoenix,AZ and have an in-ground pool, 28,000 gal., 9 ft. deep in deep end, Clearwater salt-water system with Hayward DE filter, concrete with Pebble-Tec. We had the pool built 4 years ago and it has been trouble free 'til this past week.
I did a complete disassemble and cleaning of the filter and back-wash prior to leaving for 1 week vacation on Oct. 20th. We returned on the 31st and the pool was fine; water crystal clear. I had noticed some deposits on the chlorinator cells before we left but waited 'til we got back to clean it.
I removed the chlorinator and cleaned it with a diluted Muratic acid as instructed in the manual. The next morning ( we run our pump overnight) the water was very cloudy. I have cleaned the chlorinator before in the same manner, usually twice a year, and never had this occur. I tested the water and found things in range. The chlorine readings slightly high but I left the chlorine output turned up when we were away not knowing what the weather would be like.
I took a sample of water to the local pool store with the following readings:
FC- 5.0
TC - 5.0
PH - 7.8
Alkalinity -120
Cyanuric Acid - 30
At the advice of the store employee, I disassembled the filter and checked the filter grids for cracks or broken pieces, in the evnt DE was leaking back out into the pool. Everything appeared fine.
I added the prescribed quantity of their water clarifier. That was two days ago and no change.
Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions??
Thanks in advance for your help!

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 06 Nov, 2007 23:42

Newbie here that needs help!
I live in Phoenix,AZ and have an in-ground pool, 28,000 gal., 9 ft. deep in deep end, Clearwater salt-water system with Hayward DE filter, concrete with Pebble-Tec. We had the pool built 4 years ago and it has been trouble free 'til this past week.
I did a complete disassemble and cleaning of the filter and back-wash prior to leaving for 1 week vacation on Oct. 20th. We returned on the 31st and the pool was fine; water crystal clear. I had noticed some deposits on the chlorinator cells before we left but waited 'til we got back to clean it.
I removed the chlorinator and cleaned it with a diluted Muratic acid as instructed in the manual. The next morning ( we run our pump overnight) the water was very cloudy. I have cleaned the chlorinator before in the same manner, usually twice a year, and never had this occur. I tested the water and found things in range. The chlorine readings slightly high but I left the chlorine output turned up when we were away not knowing what the weather would be like.
FC- 5.0
TC - 5.0
PH - 7.8
Alkalinity -120
Cyanuric Acid - 30
At the advice of the store employee, I disassembled the filter and checked the filter grids for cracks or broken pieces, in the evnt DE was leaking back out into the pool. Everything appeared fine.
I added the prescribed quantity of their water clarifier. That was two days ago and no change.

If DE filter is leaking a good way to tell would be backwash & readd some DE powder. If it's leaking you will see it come out of return lines.

With a high chlorine level that you have your PH reading could be wrong do to being bleached out.
A high PH level can cause cloudy water. You can turn down chlorine level & wait to retest or add 4-drops nuetralizer to PH test water before add drops for PH test to remove chlorine from water & get better result.

Also conditioner is low for salt pool at 30. If you have CYA/conditioner at 80 chlorine will stay in pool longer & you do not need to run chlorine level turned up high which will help life of cell last longer.

Re: Cloudy water after chlorinator cleaning??

Postby Guest » Wed 02 Apr, 2008 12:06

Mr Mojo Risin wrote:Newbie here that needs help!
FC- 5.0
TC - 5.0
PH - 7.8
Alkalinity -120
Cyanuric Acid - 30

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”