Muddy water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
skipman

Muddy water

Postby skipman » Mon 10 Dec, 2007 04:38

Hi all I have a recurring problem I need a hand with. I tend to get run off whenever heavy rain falls and this all ends in the pool. So I have to go through the hassle several times a year to clear it. I have used floc (again) and I cannot seem to clear it from the pool(only used around quarter rec dose) futhermore as I vacumn straight to waste when level falls below skimmer box I have to stop,refill pool,wait for it to settle then try again. This time it has been a week and I am running out of patience.Is there a better product to use and how do I fix current problem? Any help appreciated

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 10 Dec, 2007 20:07

it sounds like you have sand filter?
You can add a cup of DE powder to help filter catch mud/debris when just filtering which should be 24/7 until problem is gone.
Are you backwashing after vacuuming to waste? should be done everytime & then readd DE powder.
You can be adding water to pool while vacuuming to help last longer.
In the future possibly use sand bags to divert water/debris to miss pool.
skipman

cloudy water

Postby skipman » Tue 11 Dec, 2007 04:53

Sorry forgot to put in that we have a cartridge
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 11 Dec, 2007 11:13

You can still add DE powder to your cartridge filter but only 1/2-cup.
The best thing to do is make sure you are cleaning cartridge with a cleaner that it can soak in or one that can spray on & rinse after 20-30mins. Depending on how bad water is filled with mud/debris you may need to clean a couple times in one day & running filter 24/7.
The main thing with cartridge filters is to not have them be under-sized or you need to clean them to often when conditions are normal.
Multiport valves do not come with cartridge filters, so I am assuming you are vacuuming to waste with your own way. You can click
here just to know where you stand with correct filter size for your pool.
If you can not stop this from occuring then getting a bigger filter or different style can help.
sglass

Muddy water

Postby sglass » Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:29

I am having same problem as "cloudy water", the previous posting. Do you mean one half of a scoop or an actual measuring cup of D.E.?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Muddy water

Postby chem geek » Wed 17 Jun, 2009 11:50

The procedure for adding DE to a sand filter is described here.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”