cloudy, thinking about calling the pool man to fix the h2o

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
another nowbie post

Got test kit and Im concerned now.

Postby another nowbie post » Thu 08 May, 2008 09:27

Readings are as follows:

FC 10
TC 10
BR 10
PH 7.4
TA 80
Cal Hard 200-250
CYA 35-40

The pool is very clear, still getting stuff gathering on bottom after having the pump off for few hours.

I thought my chlorine was higher then this but the test doesnt lie. SHould I be concerned about having a combined Chlorine of ZERO?

Gonna read the taylor book to see what this pretty circle dial thingy is now, lol.

another nowbie post

Postby another nowbie post » Thu 08 May, 2008 09:41

Also what reccomended chlorine levels do you think I should try to maintain with these readings and a 22,500 gallon pool.

Cleared this up with bleach, currently using last of the pucks I have then will go back to only the BBB you guys recommended.

Thanks for all the help, since I started getting help here and not the pool store I spend less then 30 bucks to clear this up.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 08 May, 2008 10:04

Having a Combined Chorine (CC) of zero is good and is what you want.

To keep away algae, you need a minimum Free Chlorine (FC) level that is at least 7.5% of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level and targeting 10% gives you some cushion. So with around 40 ppm CYA I would target 4 ppm FC. If it drops briefly to 3 ppm, no big deal, but don't let it get below that. Since you'll probably lose 2 ppm per day, you'll add chlorine at night to get to 6 ppm, most likely, but see how things go.

You can consider automating your chlorine dosing using either unscented bleach (e.g. 6% Clorox Regular or off-brand Ultra) or chlorinating liquid by using The Liquidator which you can read more about in this thread.

Richard

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”