cloudy water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Billc

cloudy water

Postby Billc » Sun 11 May, 2008 09:27

The last two times I added liquid chlorine the pool instantly turned cloudy. It took the filter about 8 hours to to clear up.
ph 7.2
tc 3
alka 85
cya 80
hardness 450
The pool was resurfaced three months ago. I have a chlorinator with sand filter. The pool is 15,000 gallons. I have no algae or metals. Well water is used and teted 75ppm. I use a sequestering agent. (Jacks magic . Blue stuff)
Would appreciate any help

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 11 May, 2008 09:43

Either your measurement numbers are wrong or there is some interaction between the sequestering agent and higher pH and Free Chlorine (FC) that occurs when you add liquid chlorine (i.e. chlorinating liquid or bleach), though I'm not aware of such an interaction.

When you say "chlorinator", are you talking about an inline Trichlor puck/tab chlorinator or are you talking about a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG)?

If you don't have an SWG (so don't have high salt levels), then if when adding chlorine your pH went up well above 7.5 to say 7.8 or more, then some cloudiness could occur as the water would be over-saturated with calcium carbonate. I suspect that your TA or CH numbers are really higher than have been measured. What kind of test kit are you using for them or are those measurements from a pool store? Also, how much liquid chlorine do you add before you see such cloudiness?

Richard
billc

cloudy water

Postby billc » Sun 11 May, 2008 11:52

I have an inline chlorinator. 3 inch tablets.
The test was from a pool store. I used about a half gallon of chlorine the last time
How does the water over saturate with calcium carbonate when adding liquid chlorine?
I have always turned my chlorinator down in the hotter weather and used liquid chlorine to keep the cya down, with very goods results. Couild I have some bad sequestering agent?
Thank You
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 11 May, 2008 12:07

Hypochlorite sources of chlorine (chlorinating liquid, bleach, Cal-Hypo, lithium hypochlorite) raise the pH when added to the water and higher pH can cloud the water if the water is already saturated with calcium carbonate (based on TA and CH). However, your water's numbers probably wouldn't show cloudiness until at least a pH of 7.8 if not higher (assuming your CH and TA numbers are correct). However, if the added chlorine then got reduced, the pH would normally drop and certainly at the 7.2 you are measuring you shouldn't have cloudy water.

In other words, I don't know why your water is cloudy. I suggest you get your own good test kit, the Taylor K-2006 here or the TF100 kit here with the latter having 36% more volume of reagents so comparably priced "per test". Then you can know what your true water parameters are. A long list of reasons for cloudy water is shown here, but the fact that the water only became cloudy when adding liquid chlorine is unusual. It's possible the liquid chlorine had something else in it -- chlorinating liquid is usually pretty good, but if it's bleach then some brands or versions can have other fillers (thickeners or scents) and you don't want those in the pool. Clorox Regular unscented is OK, but others may not be. What kind of liquid chlorine are you using?

jdlloyd1183 has recently posted to this forum and seems very knowledgeable so perhaps he or muss08 or someone else knows why your water is turning cloudy when you add liquid chlorine.

Richard

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”