chemical advice to new pool owner

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
tb66
I'm new here
I'm new here

chemical advice to new pool owner

Postby tb66 » Tue 20 May, 2008 16:44

Above ground pool 22,000 gallon inherited w/new house. Worked for 3 months and lots of $$$$ to get balanced last year. Somehow lucked out but not sure now how it happened.

Opened it up this weekend to cloudy green water. Vacuumed, added 2 bags granular shock, 3 cases of liquid chlorine, a spring startup package of metal out and phos free per instruction of local pool place. Color is now blue but still very cloudy. Running pump 24/7.

Levels before adding chemicals:

Hardness: 100
Free Chlorine: 0/0
PH: 7.2
Alkalnity: 180
Cyanuric Acid: 30/50

Current Levels:

Hardness: 200
Free Chlorine: 0/0
PH: 6.8
Alkalinity: 180
Cyanuric Acid: 0

What form of action should I take to get sparkling clear pool water?? :D
Thanks for your assistance.

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Tue 20 May, 2008 22:08

First, what are you using to test your water? I use the Taylor K 2006 which tests for everything you need and is very accurate. A good test kit is the best investment you can make. It is strange that your cya dropped whcih usually only occurs from dilution. Exactly how much liquid chlorine is 3 cases- in gallons? You need to get your alkalinity down. Do you have any way to aerate your water to raise the pH? You need to add acid to lower the TA but that will drop your pH too much with it at 6.8. To clear the water you need to keep your FC at shock level until it holds overnight (this will ensure that all organics have been killed). Brush daily and vacuum often. Make sure you are backwashing when your psi goes up 10 psi. Why did you add the phosfree and metal out? Do you have phosphorous levels over 3000ppb or metal in your pool? These products are usually unnecessary and are pushed by pool stores because they are so expensive and makes them money.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
tb66
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby tb66 » Wed 21 May, 2008 08:54

:oops: (Test strips!!) I know...I ordered a Taylor this morning!! :lol:

200+ Alkalinity was an issue last year. Finally got it down to 180 but it would not budge lower than that.

How can I aerate? Rig PVC?

Vacuuming, brushing, and cleaning cartridge filter daily....no backwash option. Will add another bag of shock tonight. Or do you recommend two? Water looks sort of greyish/milky when cleaning filter. Much better than the slimy green I had at the beginning last year.

Phosfree and metal out recommended by pool place. They got me again there!!!
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Wed 21 May, 2008 23:01

I would add the two but i really need to have an accurate reading. To aerate you just need to create bubbles. If you have any water features such as fountains or water falls turn them on. Point any returns up if possible. Hook a tube with holes up to an air compressor and place in water. Hook the discharge end of a shop vac in. Anything to make bubbles for a sustained period of time. Its hard to tell how much time it takes becasue it depends on so many factors but this will raise the pH naturally allowing you to add more acid to lower the TA and further and repeating the process.
APSP Certified Service Pro

Jandy Tech School

Pentair Tech Training

Raypak Heater School

5 yrs experience

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”