CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
joannelcoq

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby joannelcoq » Sat 22 May, 2010 07:36

I have a cloudy pool due to the cement contractors dripping their mortar into in while fixing the coping brick. I have an inground vinyl pool 22,000 gal. I have shocked 3 times but can never see the bottom. I have vacuumed blindly and have picked up cement chunks and other debris. The water is blue but not clear, ph and alkalinity is good. The total hardness is low and it says I need cyanuric acid but I dont have metals in my pool. Do you think this floc with work? Is it the same as a coagulator ? I vacuum to waste and backwash and keep putting the DE back in. I feel Im wasting all my chemicals. What now? Help !!! Thank you. :crazy:

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby chem geek » Sat 22 May, 2010 12:59

If filtration isn't clearing the pool, then you could either use a flocculant such as OMNI Liquid Floc Plus and then vacuum-to-waste or you can use a clarifier such as BioGuard Polysheen Blue and then backwash/clean the filter. If there is a LOT of material, then a flocculant is better otherwise your filter will get clogged and need to be backwashed/cleaned several times. If there isn't so much or if you are unable to vacuum to waste then a clarifier may be your only option.

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby Guest » Sat 05 Jun, 2010 21:40

Ok we had extremely cloudy water. All the chemicals were right on so decided to do a Floc from Leslies.
It has clearly helped tremendously but I don't understand how using the polaris to vacuum to waste can possibly clear out the floc. I turned on the polaris to waste and the floc just ended up spreading out all over the pool again and clouding it up. I also backwashed the filter a few times, because I had put floc in the skimmer to clean the sand filter.
The net on the polaris just basically lets the floc go right thru it and spreads it out all over pool again. Am I supposed to use something else to vacuum to waste for floc>\?
Help its hot here in Texas and I want my pool back!

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby Guest » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 07:13

i have used floc and it worked just as the man said, i had no problems. something in your pool is not correct,you claim you cant see the bottom are there any leaves or debris on the bottom. Just out of curiosity,you say you have had your pool 15 years, why do you call yourself pool newbie......
farmgirl

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby farmgirl » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 15:29

Help my pool is cloudy and blue I have done everything the pool company has told me. All levels are good but it shows no clorine in the pool. I have shocked it alot still no reading. Help my husband will make me drain the pool and throw it away.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby chem geek » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 21:00

You probably need to maintain a shock level of chlorine in your pool. This requires you to have a good test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 with the latter kit having more volume of reagents so is comparably priced per test. Read Defeating Algae to learn how to get rid of the cloudiness which is most likely algae in your pool. You should also get a full set of water parameters and put them into The Pool Calculator to make sure that your saturation index isn't too high.
Farmgirl

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby Farmgirl » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 23:48

Thanks I will go get some liquid bleach tomorrow! :D I will let you know the results!! Again Thanks!

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby Guest » Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:23

I have dumped 12 bottles of liquid bleach in my pool. 3 every hour. Still no clorine reading! Its still blue and now alittle milky looking when I clean the filter. I can see the bottom of the pool alittle :( I dont know what to do! The pool company dont help! Do I need to leave it alone to let it sit awhile with no pump on. I am ready to give up but my children will be so upset! Please help! I have 3 more bottles of bleach I can put in the pool. Or should I just drain some of the water out! That is what the pool company said. Drain a foot of water out then add more water and start all over. I cant spend more money! HELP please!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby chem geek » Sat 12 Jun, 2010 13:12

Are you just opening the pool after a winter of having the chlorine level get to zero? If so, then bacteria could have converted the Cyanuric Acid (CYA aka stabilizer or conditioner) in the water into ammonia. Are you sure you have no chlorine? If you are using a DPD chlorine test kit (comparing against intensity of pink/red), it will bleach out above 10 ppm FC and make you think you have no chlorine when you actually have a lot. If you use an OTO test kit (comparing against intensity of yellow) it won't bleach out nor will a FAS-DPD test kit which measures up to 50 ppm and is what I was recommending.

If you want to find out how much chlorine it would still take before it starts registering in your pool, you can do a bucket test where every 1/4 teaspoon of 6% bleach in 2 gallons of pool water is 10 ppm FC. You can see how much you need to add before the chlorine starts to register. If it's a huge amount, then you may be better off doing significant water replacement/dilution.
farmgirl

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby farmgirl » Mon 14 Jun, 2010 16:17

Wow my pool is looking better not completely clear but better. I put all the bleach in then I turned the pump off for 24 hours everything setteled to the bottom. So I vaccumed my pool and let the water drain out the pool to get rid of the mess at the bottom. Of course I couldnt get it all. But most of it. Then I added water, it got cloudy blue again but not as bad. I will vaccum again after letting it settle and redo the process. Hopefully this will do the trick. I also got chemical to replace in the pool but I dont want to add until I get all the nasty out. I hope I am doing the right thing.
Atlanta Club Pools

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby Atlanta Club Pools » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 15:09

It is likely that you need to replace your filter media. It sounds like the filters are not able to clean the water.
Easyeddie12

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby Easyeddie12 » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 15:00

Where do you post a problem for help?????

er116@hotmail.com
MaryLou45

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby MaryLou45 » Fri 03 Jun, 2011 04:12

Floc is an AMAZING PRODUCT!
You must not being doing something right!
When you vacuum after waiting the 24-48 hrs, you MUST vacuum to waste. If you do not use this setting then you will be fighting a loosing battle.
Refer to your pump manual on how to use
This setting. You must also make sure when using this setting that you add water since you will loosing slot during the waste vaccum,,,
binary221

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby binary221 » Fri 03 Jun, 2011 09:28

after all you have done I think the short and simple way as i do myself is to save time and money and grab a sample of your pool water and go to your local pool dealer and have the water tested most will do it free of charge or for a very minimal price cheaper than playing trial and error with those over priced pool chemicals. you will get a printout of your pools levels and they will tell you exactally what you need to fix the problem and how much to use. I thank God every summer for the pool experts at olivers pools in suffolk, Virginia.
I hope this helps. :D
temptingstory

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby temptingstory » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 09:41

I'm having the same issues and still trying to clear it up. Floc does NOT work and do not keep backwashing. And if you do vacuum, be sure to vacuum to waste. My water is the same way and I'm working with my pool store to clear it up. They told me I'm vacuuming and backwashing too much....it's hard on your filter. I'll let you know if mine clears up soon. But do not use that FLOC stuff, it's not good and hard on your pump and filter.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”