cloudy blue/green water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.

cloudy blue/green water

Postby Guest » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 12:47

My parents pool has gone a bit green and cloudy despite chlorine and ph levels being in the "ideal" zone using the test kit. They have tried algecide 2 or 3 times and it's made very little if any difference at all. Having read some of these postings looks like a chlorine shock may be the answer but how much??
They have a 8 x 4 meter pool which i believe equals just under 8000 gallons of water and they use a granule chlorine.

Fingers crossed for some help, thank you!

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

cloudy blue/green water

Postby chem geek » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 13:58

Read this link in the Pool School and also this link on shocking your pool and this chart on the amount of chlorine needed to shock which is based on the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. If the CYA level is too high, you might be better off doing a partial drain/refill before shocking since you'll have to get your CYA level lowered anyway if it's very high (above 80 ppm, for example).

Postby Guest » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 14:42

Thanks for your help, i'll pass on the info but i'm sure the testing kit i've seen them use only shows PH and Chlorine levels so don't know anything about CYA levels
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

cloudy blue/green water

Postby chem geek » Sat 08 Nov, 2008 15:50

They should definitely get a good test kit. Either the Taylor K-2006 they can get at a good online price here or the TF100 test kit from tftestkits(dot)com here with the latter kit having 36% more volume of reagents so is comparably priced "per test".

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”