White stuff at bottom of pool

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Stumped in AZ

Postby Stumped in AZ » Tue 21 Apr, 2009 23:42

I have an inground salt water pool with a Hayward cartridge filter, two in floor return drain things, and a barracuda. We are in Arizona and the pool is 7 years old. Over the past couple of years, we have had a lot of debris accumulate at the bottom of the pool. It is primarily a white substance that seems kinda flaky. Last summer I bought new cartridges for the filter. The baracuda does not vacuum all the white stuff up. Instead the flakes break apart and start floating. What the baracuda does vacuum does not seem to get trapped by the filter cartridges and shoots back into the pool from the water returns. I hired a pool service, but am not confident that the guy working on my pool is very knowledgeable. He believes that there is a "tear" in one or more of the new cartridges. However, on examination, the cartridges all look fine. He says the chemicals are all good.

Do you think the white stuff could be calcium? If so, how do I get rid of it??? Thanks for your help in advance!!!

Pooltech32
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Pooltech32 » Thu 23 Apr, 2009 19:00

More likely to be scale, have you been checking your PH? salt pools are notorius for high PH and with out proper care the pool will scale over time.
Pool repair guy
pool man huntington beach

Postby pool man huntington beach » Mon 11 May, 2009 14:33

the problem is to much c-hardness in your water, the fix is simple drain pool then fill ajust T.A. add conditioner, salt to 3500 ppm and a gallon of chlor and you will be ok. feel free you ask any more Q's

Mark T.
same prob

Postby same prob » Thu 11 Jun, 2009 23:24

I have the exact same problem. My pool place told me that it is a calcium fallout..and that the only way to get rid of it is to drain. :(
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Fri 12 Jun, 2009 01:57

same prob wrote:I have the exact same problem. My pool place told me that it is a calcium fallout..and that the only way to get rid of it is to drain. :(

Hi,

Ask them what the calcium hardness level is that they found. 200-400 ppm is about the normal range. Draining is the option when it gets too high. Unfortunately, many areas have a high level right out of the tap.
Road King

Postby Road King » Sat 11 Jul, 2009 11:56

I have a new pool (10-08) and have the same problem. I installed an o zone gen made no difference. drained pool 1/2 way adjusted salt level 4200. and checked hardness of water STILL have the problem. Waht do you suggest now

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”