Cloudy water after killing algae...can't see the bottom

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
J&Shenry

Cloudy water after killing algae...can't see the bottom

Postby J&Shenry » Sat 27 May, 2006 16:35

Our pool recently had TONS of green algae that we finally got rid of with many, many gallons of liquid chlorine and muratic acid. Now the pool is cloudy, turbid, and you can't see the bottom...even in the shallow end. I'm assuming this is the dead algae and we have to remove it. Problem is, the pressure in our system climbs above 20psi in an hour(sometimes less). We take the cartridge filter out, hose it off (it doesn't appear that dirty), put it back in, and the pressure just rises again. My husband can't vaccuum because he can't see the bottom.

We used a cleaner spray on the filter, but the pressure still rises. It's a new filter, by the way. Do we need to soak the filter in a cleaner, or use a floccing agent? I'm afraid if we use a floc agent, it will make the problem worse, and we still won't see the bottom and not be able to vaccuum. Could it be a blockage in the system somewhere?

The guy at our local pool store has no clue what's wrong. Our TA, stabilizer, and hardness are all on the lower end of normal range. Acid is low (because we added a bunch), and Chlorine is toward the higher end because we've added 15 jugs in the last 3 days.

Any suggestions? My husband and I are lost and frustrated...and won't be able to swim on Memorial day! Sorry this was long...I wanted to give as much info as I could. :D

tgr

too far gone

Postby tgr » Sat 27 May, 2006 17:26

I had the same problem a couple years ago. I just drained the pool and started over. You have to keep up the maintenance!! Do not allow leaves and stuff in the pool in the winter. Use algecide regularly and please have the pump system checked.
drcubby

cloudy water and dead algea

Postby drcubby » Sat 27 May, 2006 20:02

U have the exact same problem. I have been looking at purchasing the Pool Buster Vacuum which does not run on the pool filtration system but is battery charged. This would at least allow me to vacuum the dead algea and debris off the bottom. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this vacuum. One suggestion I can offer which cleared up the water to allow us to see the bootom..we were advised by our pool store to remove the nesting from the center of our filtration system. This would not allow for any filtering but would keep the pressure at a normal level and allow the water to circulate therefore maintaining the circulation of the chemicals. Our problem now that we all the algea killed, once we replace the nesting filter the pressure jumps and we can't acuum it up. :cry:

Postby Guest » Sun 09 Jul, 2006 09:30

you have to vacume your pool on waste it's the only way to get rid of the dead algae sometimes it's so small it will just come right back in if you vacume it normally i know happened to me last summer you will lose some water but better than refilling your pool

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”