Appreciate some advice please

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Maggie2712
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 inground vinyl liner
Hayward Sand filter GM-245

Postby Maggie2712 » Sat 23 May, 2009 08:56

I am looking for some guidance as I am stuck and not sure what my next step should be.

We moved in to a home that has a pool that was built in the 1960's and have been unable to get the pool to clear - pool store said all water tests were ok and that maybe sand needed to be changed. So we had the sand changed on Friday, the guy said the sand was in dreadful condition and to shock the pool and let the pump run continuously until at least Monday and that we should see a huge improvement. Well we have had continual rain and expect to have rain for the next 10 days so I know I need to keep on top of the chlorine/PH levels.

This morning I have put an extra 5lb of shock in the pool and the water has not changed color one bit - it is so cloudy that I cannot see the bottom of the pool and my questions are- do you think I need to try and vacuum blindly - would I need to try and apply a floc to the water or do I just need to have patience?

Water test results are as follows:-

FC 2
PH 7.3
TA 150
CH 130
CYA 35
TDS 800
Phospahates 0

Appreciate any help I can get.
Thank you

18x36 inground vinyl liner
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Sat 23 May, 2009 12:24

Hi Maggie,

Is the pool green or just cloudy? If you still have growing algae in the water the FC of 2 isn't high enough. If the algae is all dead but the pool is cloudy run the filter as they said. It can take quite awhile with a sand filter. A clarifier may help to speed things up.

I wouldn't vacuum blindly but would wait until you can see the bottom.

When you have a pool that took months or longer to get in it's current condition it takes some time to clear it. Won't happen overnight.

I'll look back to see if you have more questions or more info for me.

Good luck.
Maggie2712
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 inground vinyl liner

Postby Maggie2712 » Sat 23 May, 2009 14:44

HI Denali
Thank you for your response.

The pool did have algae but I have managed to clear all of that now after some hard work!
The pool is more of a blue color now, sort of a very cloudy pale blue.

I just noticed that I made a mistake when posting my numbers the FC is 3 (not that I suppose it makes that much of a difference :? ).

I guess I am just impatient - I am so eager to get the pool clear - it is my new hobby!

I have to say I have found this web site invaluable - Reading some of the posts helped me to get rid of the algae.

Well I guess for now I shall leave the filter running and find something to do to distract me from staring at the pool - well until Monday that is!! :lol:
18x36 inground vinyl liner
gmm1557
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21 ft above ground with proline de filter

Postby gmm1557 » Sun 24 May, 2009 11:48

We have a Proline DE filter and we are experiencing little to no sunction from the skimmer, so it is not filtering through the skimmer. Please help!!!!
gmm1557
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21 ft above ground with proline de filter

Skimmer pressure problem

Postby gmm1557 » Sun 24 May, 2009 11:59

I have a Proline DE filter and do not have any sunction pressure. Can anyone advise what the problem could be?
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Skimmer pressure problem

Postby Denali » Sun 24 May, 2009 19:42

gmm1557 wrote:I have a Proline DE filter and do not have any sunction pressure. Can anyone advise what the problem could be?

Hi,

Does the filter have a pressure gauge on it? If it does, is the pressure up or down from normal?

If the pressure is up, filter is probably dirty. If the pressure is down, skimmer basket or pump basket probably clogged up. There are other possible reasons of course but those are the common ones.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”